The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a nano glass diffuser off ebay to use on my DIY yeast Co2. Last night was the first time i've ever tried this. I got it all set up and wasn't getting any bubbles after about an hour so I went to bed. I got up this morning and there still weren't any bubbles coming out of the diffuser so I looked at the bottle and it was under a lot of pressure. I gave the bottle a good squeeze and I could see the air in the line move a little, but barely at all. I took the cap off the bottle and it noticably went pshhhhhh.... and I could see the bottle had been puffed way up. I blew in the airline as hard as I could and couldn't get even the tiniest bit of bubbles to come out of this diffuser. Right now I just have the airline coming off the Co2 bottle stuck in the water with no diffuser at all because I was getting worried about how much pressure was on the bottle. Is it supposed to be this hard to get air out of a diffuser or did I get a bad one?

·
Registered
43 Posts
DIY is ok for a ceramic diffuser, in fact I am using it on an INLINE ATOMIZER!!! The yeast/sugar CO2 production is not limited by pressure so if you make it and it is sealed, you will get the pressure...and well within the safety specs of the 2-liter plastic. On e-bay there is a cap with brass fittings. I have one and it just simply doesn't leak, and don't see how it could. It's completely worth the purchase. Like I said, running an atomizer for 3 weeks now, with unbelievable production and absorption, on the the same batch :)

·
Registered
4,907 Posts
i used one.. May i suggest a rhinox 1000.. it has a little bit bigger pores.. works awesome... ALSO.. this is a good indicator there is a weak spot in ur seal somewhere

the yeast will eventually build up enough pressure to start a small ceramic diffuser if it has no where else to release the pressure..

·
Registered
43 Posts
As far as your problem it could only be one of three things: a "bad" diffuser (in theory doesn't seem likely), a check valve installed backwards, or a leak in the system that is so small that the bottle could still hold some decent pressure, but falls just short of the pressure needed to power the diffuser.

This last problem makes sense to me since, in my experience, it seems like the pressure needed to get the very first bubbles from a diffuser seems to be just a little less than the pressure needed to maintain those bubbles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.