The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built a small CO2 yeast generator and it stopped working.
It worked for 2 days, and now stopped bubbling. This should not have happened because I followed several different instructions.

If this doesn't get fixed I'll have to go buy a kit online. The instructions should be changed for the yeast generator because there are too many problems like this.

Can someone tell me what the good recepe is? Here is a picture of my setup

Attachments

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
This CO2 DIY method is very well proven, by very many people. The basic idea is not flawed. What does give lots of people problems is tiny CO2 leaks where the tubing has to be sealed - the bottle lids, the check valves, the reactor connection, etc. It can be hard to find those leaks, but you have to find and correct them. Start by using a liquid dish detergent/water mix sprayed or dripped on every single connection. Wait several minutes and look for tiny clusters of very small bubbles. Those are all excessive leaks.

I can't tell how big the bottles are, but anything smaller than one liter bottles is unlikely to give you CO2 for long enough to be useful. Also, the temperature of the bottles of yeast/sugar/water need to be at least at warm room temperature or the production of CO2 will be very slow.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Back when I did DIY CO2, i tried gatorade bottles and juice bottles and they didn't really work that well. I switched over to using soda bottles and that did the trick. I think there's something to the bottles since they're made to handle the pressure. Give that a try.

Sent from my LG-H811 using Tapatalk
Agreed here. 2L bottles can handle a lot more pressure than your CO2 system will produce.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Sometimes you just get bad yeast. Try adding a bit more and shaking the bottle up.
I used to use almost the same setup as you.
If we almost half a teaspoon of yeast because not all of it lives, then a cup of sugar and warm tap water.
I'd get about a week on a good mix with random shakes here and there

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.