The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
You'll note that the article only refers to a specific strain of the bacteria, and in addition, they only live on pure caffeine (which coffee is not).

In addition, I would imagine that in most places, ground coffee is more expensive than sugar. Finally, obtaining the specific strain of bacteria might prove difficult.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Probably downright impossible. Hard to find pure strains of any microorganisms as they must come from lab conditions. Also, pure caffeine is rather expensive. Just easier to use the old fashioned method.

You'll note that the article only refers to a specific strain of the bacteria, and in addition, they only live on pure caffeine (which coffee is not).

In addition, I would imagine that in most places, ground coffee is more expensive than sugar. Finally, obtaining the specific strain of bacteria might prove difficult.

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Probably downright impossible. Hard to find pure strains of any microorganisms as they must come from lab conditions. Also, pure caffeine is rather expensive. Just easier to use the old fashioned method.
Agreed; unless someone suddenly has connections to ATCC? :D

·
Super Moderator
11,933 Posts
Well its not really hard to get stuff from them. they provide all the permits you need and stuff. Never personally ordered from them, but i'd imagine that its not cheap.

Oh and i think you have to have some sort of proof of a legitimate experiment that you're doing.
I think you have to show that you also have the necessary facility/equipment to treat the organism in a suitable manner (i.e. BSL level 1 would be sufficient for P. putida, I would assume).

But in any case, yes, price is also a big issue :)

I recall ordering some amoeba strain from ATCC once, and I believe it was upwards of $1000 for a small vial.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts