The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking on Rex's site and saw that alot of people were getting their CO2 cylinders from fire equipment stores. But when i phoned one here they said that they sell CO2 fire extinguishers but not the "cylinders" i was looking for. Is there some adapter i can use on these extinguishers or are people actually buying regular cylinders from these stores ?

James

·
Registered
711 Posts
As far as I remember co2 tanks are not built the same way as co2 fire extinguisher tanks,I could be wrong . co2 tanks are built to withstand 3000 psi or so.I'm not sure the same applies to fire extinguishers.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
As far as I remember co2 tanks are not built the same way as co2 fire extinguisher tanks,I could be wrong . co2 tanks are built to withstand 3000 psi or so.I'm not sure the same applies to fire extinguishers.
You are uninformed.

There are several different types of fire extinguishers. Those with dry chemicals in them are only designed to run at 125 psi. A true CO2 based extinguisher is the same as a CO2 cylinder since it also contains liquid CO2. It will have a different fitting on it though.

Call another shop. Or ask them if they can put a CGA 320 valve on a CO2 fire extinguisher. Or call the same shop and talk to someone that can find their a** with one hand.

And follow the advice I always give my wife. Don't overload their little pea brains with too much information. Just ask for a CO2 cylinder. Don't mention what you are going to do with it. Just give them the minimum amount of information that they need to answer the question. Many times if you try and explain you only confuse people.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Great advise rex. I do the same when I make most purchases. With a little research you'll be more knowledgeable about a certain subject or item, than the person selling.

·
Registered
711 Posts
Now thing are more clear to me ,I had a hard time believing that the co2 tank that I bought from a local fire extinguisher place was actually a fire extinguisher (with a different nozzle)since it weighs a lot when its full .

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
I use an extinguisher shop to refill a CO2 tank that the gas company won't touch. It has a rubber boot on the bottom that stabilizes the tank. They are very nice about filling it up while I wait. When I originally got the tank the valve stem was a little bent, they fixed that problem for the cost of the stem. Nice people there, I'll keep giving them my business. If the shop doesn't understand what you want to buy, get a cylinder from Harbor Freight and have the shop fill it up for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.