The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got co2 for my 10 gallon (they sent the wrong defuser but are sending the proper one) and it seems I don’t have enough flow for the bubbles to get to the other side of the tank. Is this a critical thing or does it not matter? If it needs to happen is there anything I can do to help?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Flow is critical with co2 IMO.

The co2 needs to remain in the water column for as long as possible for it dissolve, if it just floats up it is wasted to the atmosphere and of no use to the plants.

The easiest way with going to be to add a small powerhead to the tank.

I can see one in the pics, but are you using a drop checker to monitor co2 levels?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Flow is critical with co2 IMO.

The co2 needs to remain in the water column for as long as possible for it dissolve, if it just floats up it is wasted to the atmosphere and of no use to the plants.

The easiest way with going to be to add a small powerhead to the tank.

I can see one in the pics, but are you using a drop checker to monitor co2 levels?
I am using a drop checker and it’s just a sponge filter With an adjustable head to adjust where the bubbles and flow go. I think when I get a proper defuser is might be able to travel around Better because right now it’s is a glass chamber until it’s almost to the top away from a good about of flow

·
Registered
biOrb LIFE 45 L, planted, EI dosing, CO2 injected; ADA Cube Garden 45F, planted, EI dosing, low tech
30 Posts
Your tank looks great so whatever you are doing is working. The issue with flow is more around getting the CO2-dissolved water sent around everywhere rather than having the bubbles sent around everywhere. You'd like to see some leaf movement in all parts of the tank at least periodically. If you've noticed parts of the tank doing less well than others you may have a flow issue, but otherwise I wouldn't mess with it.

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
I'm going to diverge dramatically from everyone else and say that in this tank it is important that you don't have much flow. This is because I can see a betta in this tank. They really struggle with a lot of flow and should be in very minimal flow scenarios. Putting a powerhead in a tank with a betta is basically going to kill it. If you want to put a lot of flow in a tank you're going to need to move the betta. The idea that the bubbles need to blow all around a tank comes from the idea that the bubbles themselves help the plants by attaching to leaves. This is purely anecdotal and there's no real information saying that it affects anything. The dissolved CO2 is what definitely helps the plants, it's possible that more flow will help dissolve even more CO2, but there is an issue of whether that actually matters for your purposes. If all you're trying to do is grow healthy lush plants and not trying to min/max every single attribute, then minimal flow with a diffuser and a small tank like this will work just fine. Alternatively, you can ditch the diffuser, build yourself a small reactor, and have significantly better CO2 dissolution and efficiency then a diffuser could provide.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.