The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone here use one large central CO2 tank and regulator (with a splitter and multiple needle valves) for multiple tanks in different locations around the house? I'm trying to think of ways that one could manage all the tubing.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I ran three at one point and I'm sure there are several who do run many tanks that way.
But how to manage the tubing is going to get down to details of where and what tanks you have. In my situation it was simple to punch through a wall to a second tank. But adding the third was much more as I ran up the wall to the attic and then back down inside the wall behind the third tank. At that point, I decided I could afford more tanks and reg sets.
I do my own on simple stuff like this but in looking back, I feel I wasted my effort to run the tubing as it was not a handy thing to deal with on an everyday basis. Had I spent far more on far better tubing it might have been less trouble but then I decided it was wiser to just go with a whole new setup and save the grief for larger concerns. I can make far more money setting here on computers than I ever saved with running tanks off one setup.
Personal decisions, depending on each person's situation?

For the practical question of how to manage or run the lines, look at house plumbing for ideas as they are both pretty close to the same. The major difference is that we are able to adjust the pressure far easier that we might in many water systems. But where and how to tie the lines together is largely the same. You have pressure at every point in the line and you add a needle valve (faucet?) to adjust how much go into that tank (sink?)

·
Registered
6,836 Posts
Does anyone here use one large central CO2 tank and regulator (with a splitter and multiple needle valves) for multiple tanks in different locations around the house? I'm trying to think of ways that one could manage all the tubing.
Hi Axelrodi202,

I run multiple (3) tanks off of one regulator in one room. I use the GLA 3 way manifold with a Clippard check valve on the output of each needle valve. I chose the GLA model because it uses a better needle valve than those cheap Asian models. I find that I have to take my output pressure up to about 30PSI to have stable bubble counts for my three tanks, especially the 20 gallon that is about 10 feet away from the cylinder and manifold.

I have a 75 gallon in the next room but I opted to run it independently on its own 5 lb cylinder. It does have a 2 way manifold with Ideal 52-1-12 needle valves but I am only using one output at the moment.

I think the biggest issue along with having to camouflage the tubing as it runs through the house and avoiding trip hazards is the potential for pressure drop over a long distance but with for such a low flow rate it may not be an issue.

GLA 3 Way Manifold

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I ran my tubing inside the walls and above the ceiling but the main complain I had was the way the tubing on the long run would swell or balloon to a certain extent and then when gas was turned off, that gas would still be going to the tank. Being a sort that likes to play the game at minimum effort, it just got on my nerves to the point that I just wanted better. But I tend to want to "improve" my equipment even when it doesn't necessarily need it.
For more dependable and consistent operation, I thought about using copper tubing for less flex but that is far, far more trouble to slip into the walls without kinking. For the price of the 1/4" copper, I could almost buy the second reg!

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input. I guess if I do try this kind of setup in the future I'll limit it to shorter distances.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
My thinking went in the line of how much I was investing in trying it vs what might be saved. When looking at buying the needle valves aofr each tank, I would need them to build any reg sets that I went to later if it did not work. So the only real extra spending to do the experiment was the tubing. Since tubing is cheap and I use it anyway, I felt there was no major reason not to try it other than some time to run the lines and watch it. It was worth seeing the results for myself rather than wondering about how it might have worked. The old "trust what I see more than what I read" thing?
I find reading about what others do may lead me in the right direction but then it also can lead me in the wrong direction, too. Sometimes the best way to get down to what happens in our situation is trying it. Success or failure, I learn something either way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.