The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all! I'm new to the forum and to canister co2, ive been using yeast and sugar for years on my small planted tanks and now am ready to invest in a good system but I want to know more about what I need, how much it will cost, and where to buy it.
I don't know anything about co2 systems so any help would be...helpful lol

Thanks!

-Miles

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
personally i would find a user on this form and buy a already built dual stage regulator with a nice needle valve. I think you will get a pretty good bang for your buck. I actually built my own reactor with the help of leftc and that makes your dollar travel a bit farther but does take a lot of time to track down the good deals.

You really need a co2 tank, regulator, Solenoid, needle valve, check valve, and maybe a bubble counter and co2 tubing. Some people don't use solenoids but i really like them because it gives you the ability to turn on and off your co2 so you don't have to have it running when the lights go out.

I think for a good regulator and a co2 tank it'll run around 200 dollars for a pretty decent set up. You can find cheaper but this can come at a cost of gassing your fish which isn't worth it in my opinion especially if you get some nice fish that you become attached to.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am not a DIY guy haha I'm really bad at stuff like that, I'd like to buy a pre built system but at the same time I feel like I'd kick myself for spending that much on plants haha

·
Registered
745 Posts
4 things you need...

1. regulator -can be crazy expensive system ($300+) that is incredibly reliable and is more "set and forget" or can be cheaper system (<$100) that works and needs to be adjusted at least weekly

2. co2 tank -self explanatory...5,10,20# CO2 tank (costs of refills is usually within $5 and difference can be months--> years before you need a refill -my recommendation is get the biggest you can afford and fit into your display) (~$100)

3. method of diffusing CO2 into tank -can be diffusers (crap), atomizers (very good), reactors (IMO, the best) ($5-$40)

4. drop checker -easiest means to estimate amount of CO2 in your tank (~$10)

and you can save money by DIY or finding deals in the SnS

·
Registered
5 Posts
I bought a Tank, Needle valve, solenoid.... everything but the CO2 gas and difusser at Marine Depot for $155.

Turns out LFS doesn't fill the CO2 tanks - so i traded in my brand new one for a filled one for $25.

I really suggest Marine Depot.com

Tom

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Look through here for one of the power traders. They can build one up for you for cheap.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sponsors-power-seller-specials/

You should not go cheap with a regulator because it may leak. It may have problems regulating the CO2 pressure. Leaking CO2 isn't fun. Not that it is dangerous with the amount we are talking about here, 5lb to 10lb of CO2. A tank would normally last you 4 to 5 months. With a leak system, you may lose all of your CO2 in a month. Refilling it can be a pain if you need to drive long distance to have it refilled.

I bought my system from one of the power traders here. Couldn't be happier. $125 for both the Victor regulator, needle valve, a soleniod, and an AC adapter. Another $120 for a 10lb tank delivered FULL from aquariumplants.com. It has been running for 10 days now. It is adjusted and forget. I glanced at the pressure meter to see if everything is running normally. Before, I was using yeast activated CO2 and upgrade to a paintball CO2 system. They all required constant monitoring daily to ensure the bubble rate is correct. With the paintball system, everyday I worried about leaks. :) When a 20 oz CO2 paintball tank leaks, you are out of CO2 the next day.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.