The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 flow problems

1528 5
I replaced my CO2 tank (sodastream) a few days before I went on a 2 week vacation, and have come back to it running slowly and somewhat inconsistently. It was running fine before I left. I walked over to it a minute ago and found no bubbles running and then all of a sudden loads came out. Working pressure should be 50 but has gone up to 55. High pressure should be around 800 but is showing 1000.

I have an inline bubble counter and my diffuser also has one which I don't use. Possibly they could be causing problems but I don't see why.

Any ideas what could be wrong? I'm thinking it could be a faulty solenoid....

Thanks
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Possible that they has been an increase in the temperature of the tank? Since there is no way to get more CO2 into it without you knowing, the temperature increase is about the only way for the pressure to go up on the tank side.
Possible that the solenoid is not working right, sounds like possible but then what is on the end (diffuser, etc? ) may come into why the on again/off again.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Possible that they has been an increase in the temperature of the tank? Since there is no way to get more CO2 into it without you knowing, the temperature increase is about the only way for the pressure to go up on the tank side.
Possible that the solenoid is not working right, sounds like possible but then what is on the end (diffuser, etc? ) may come into why the on again/off again.
Could be a temperature increase but nothing seems any different than when I installed the tank. Perhaps it could just be the tank was filled slightly more than usual but I don't really know what the proper pressures should be.

All I've got is an inline bubble counter and Aquario Neo diffuser running from the tank.

It's hard to explain but it seems like either the diffuser bubble counter or something else is causing the inline counter to rapidly fluctuate/stutter. This only happens sometimes though.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Okay, I understood the pressure had been running 800 and now gone to 1000, but one that has been filled and not been at a steady pressure is likely to vary some. Both with how much a little bit but also with a higher temp, the pressure does go up. These are not like gas gauge which shows how much liquid is left and changes as that liquid is used. A pressure gauge will only move due to temperature until all the liquid portion is gone and then begin to move down as the remaining liquid is not there to gas off to maintain pressure. Not used that diffuser but some have a certain amount of pressure needed to pass gas. They can seem to act somewhat like a stopper while pressure gradually builds in tubing and thenkind of reach a "breaking point" where they pass the gas built up in the tubing. Tubing can do what we sometimes call "balloon" and hold a bit more gas. Maybe something like the diffuser holods gas flowing so that the bubbles begin to move but then as it reaches a certain point the bubbles almost stop until finally the pressure builds and then seem to burst through.
Lots of guessing on that so see if that looks like anything you see!! Sometimes guesses are not very good when we can't actually watch things happen.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I think I'll troubleshoot the different components. I'm planning to get rid of the inline bubble counter anyway. My diffuser definitely has that "breaking point" but it's always done that. Worst case I'll just have to increase CO2 flow and hope for the best.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Reviving this...

I'm still struggling with this issue and haven't had much luck with the company who made it. All they suggested was that the diffuser may be clogged.

Although it looks as good as it did when I bought it (3 months ago), could it be clogged anyway? Probably in need of a cleaning...lol.

Does a dirty/clogged diffuser even cause inconsistency in flow or just reduced efficiency/larger bubble size?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.