The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one use an actual flow meter in their CO2 setup?

I get frustrated trying to determine flow via BPS, and compare it Day to Day. Or say if I’m trying to turn down my CO2 “just a little”....it’s hard to really tell when the bubbles have slowed down “just a little”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
Any one use an actual flow meter in their CO2 setup?

I get frustrated trying to determine flow via BPS, and compare it Day to Day. Or say if I’m trying to turn down my CO2 “just a little”....it’s hard to really tell when the bubbles have slowed down “just a little”

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Yes. Just recently outfitted my two larger tanks with flow meters. It was a huge game changer for me to be able to dial in an exact flow measurements with a ph meter in the tank. Totally repeatable now day after day. No more guesswork.

The trick is tracking down models that are designed for super low flow.

0-50ccm tubes should cover high co2 for tanks up to 120g or so.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm tuning my new CO2 setup now, I just adjusted it from 45 SCCM to 40 SCCM (Stand cubic cm per minute). Try that with a bubble counter... :- )

I'm new to CO2 and I highly recommend one.

My video compares 2 of the common ones in the hobby.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow I have some reading to do lol.

Was too hopeful someone would link an affordable digital meter than directly read in CC/Min

Yes. Just recently outfitted my two larger tanks with flow meters. It was a huge game changer for me to be able to dial in an exact flow measurements with a ph meter in the tank. Totally repeatable now day after day. No more guesswork.

The trick is tracking down models that are designed for super low flow.

0-50ccm tubes should cover high co2 for tanks up to 120g or so.
What meters did you go with?

I'm tuning my new CO2 setup now, I just adjusted it from 45 SCCM to 40 SCCM (Stand cubic cm per minute). Try that with a bubble counter... :- )

I'm new to CO2 and I highly recommend one.

My video compares 2 of the common ones in the hobby.

Cool thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,262 Posts

I got a couple of Key Instruments GS series models used off e bay. That company is no more, and equivalent new models (Brooks SHO-RATE) are nearly four hundred dollars.

There are some low flow models still available there, but it can be hard to figure out which ones are right, and it may involve tracking down old parts guides. I think if you want to buy something new and not break the bank, you can go with Dwyer brand acrylic meters.

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Keep in mind that the amount of flow we are measuring is very, very small in the scheme things. It's also a very specific range. Most planted tanks will have flow somewhere between 15 and 75 cc/min. When you see meters marked with SCFM that's standard cubic foot per minute which is wildly different than our tiny amounts. Just saying pay close attention to the details of any meter you are considering.

Most people (me included) are using either the Dwyer RMA-151-SSV (5-50 cc/min) or RMA-150-SSV (10-100 cc/min). Readily available and work great. I've been using mine for about 5 years now.

If you start searching for more lab grade meters, be very careful about what you buy and get really educated as there are lots of small nuances between them.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Keep in mind that the amount of flow we are measuring is very, very small in the scheme things. It's also a very specific range. Most planted tanks will have flow somewhere between 15 and 75 cc/min. When you see meters marked with SCFM that's standard cubic foot per minute which is wildly different than our tiny amounts. Just saying pay close attention to the details of any meter you are considering.

Most people (me included) are using either the Dwyer RMA-151-SSV (5-50 cc/min) or RMA-150-SSV (10-100 cc/min). Readily available and work great. I've been using mine for about 5 years now.

If you start searching for more lab grade meters, be very careful about what you buy and get really educated as there are lots of small nuances between them.
Your Dwyer 151 ssv has a 2” long scale. Do you feel like a larger scale would be better for finer resolution or higher degree of control?

Or is it just not needed?

·
Banned
6,196 Posts
Your Dwyer 151 ssv has a 2” long scale. Do you feel like a larger scale would be better for finer resolution or higher degree of control?

Or is it just not needed?
I've been using one for a long time and all I can say is that it accurate enough to suit my needs.

Are there other solutions available? Yes. Might they offer a finer degree of control? Yes. Does it matter.......I don't think so. But that's just me.

For those that want to know more about what we are talking about here is a video me showing how the Dwyer unit works.

·
Premium Member
3,074 Posts
good price high precision flow meter are really rare now, but to know what to look for and look hard enough, you will find them.
Most are liquidated though, if you want something new, your choice of flowmeter is pretty limited, the Dwyer that Greggz mention is about $70 retail and it is most affordable, but it works only on large planted tank because of the higher flow range, and there is no co2 calibration data for specific pressure setting.

I have both the dwyer 151/150 in storage, will measure the co2 calibration data later..

·
Registered
364 Posts
I got really lucky with my Matheson, and although my video shows me not liking the Dwyer I'm sure it is fine. It is just that the Matheson is nicer. But I go really lucky. (Basically it was for sale and Bettatail said "buy this!" and I did.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.