The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anybody ever use the Co2 fizz tabs? I am using it in a diy Co2 set up, for the yeast mixture smelled to much for me. I only used yeast mixture 1 day thus nothing but yeast smelling. The tubing goes in the intake of the powerhead filter. Just planning on using it until I can enhance my substrate. The fish seem to be okay with it.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
CO2 fizz tabs are, in my opinion, a complete waste of money. You have no control over how much CO2 is dissolved into the water, and the tabs cost quite a bit of money as well.

In addition, there is no way to achieve a steady 30 ppm of CO2 over the course of a day, let alone a week. I don't think anyone would want to sit by their tank all day to monitor CO2 levels, throwing in a CO2 tab every so often to maintain the required levels of CO2.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
You don't smell the yeast mixture until you make a new batch, so it isn't all that bad. The fizz tabs are really a waste of money and it only last for what? half an hour? I used them before and they nothing compared to diy.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You don't smell the yeast mixture until you make a new batch, so it isn't all that bad. The fizz tabs are really a waste of money and it only last for what? half an hour? I used them before and they nothing compared to diy.
You mean the smell eventually goes away or you get use to it?
My nose is very sensitive and if I don't adhere to it I get headaches and dizziness.

I put the fiz tabs in the bottle of water in places of the yeast mixture. Seems to be working. A few fish at night gasping thus took it off. Planning to put in on timer for day time.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Make sure you sanitize your yeast bottles every week, or you'll start growing things other than just yeast - baddies which will stink!

Sanitize with a 5% chlorine solution and 15 minute contact time. Rinse or air dry.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I don't sanitize my bottles used for fertilizer mixes. Then again, I only use bottled water bottles (after I pour out the water into a cup) for my fertilizers.

As for the fizz tabs, how do you plan to put them on a timer?

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As for the fizz tabs, how do you plan to put them on a timer?
Plan was to put the powerhead on a timer, which the output goes into. Then realised this would not work. So just going to put 5ml daily of the solution and 1ml of Excel daily until I get it broke down and put mineralized substrate in.

To prevent complete cycle to begin I leave half of the old substrate in and put a bag of in the water. It worked before.

Plan now is to make mineralised soil. Will be using potting soil, which has a lot of peat, and coconut reptile substrate, topping soil and pond tabs. Hoping that humus of the potting soil and coconut substrate along with Excel will provide enough Co2. Then only dose weekly.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I go with pressurised Co2 I need to use more ferts. This is meant to be just a temporary item to help plants get more color. I want the tank to be low tech low upkeep.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
Then best not to use CO2 at all. A fluctuating CO2 level is worse than a steady, basal level of CO2...

Alternatively, you could just use Excel if you want to keep everything low tech. While not as effective as CO2, it will still be able to provide some level of carbon (carbon alternative) to your plants.

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alternatively, you could just use Excel if you want to keep everything low tech. It will still be able to provide some level of carbon (carbon alternative) to your plants.
I am planning to make a solution with the Fizz tab, 1 cup of water and dose 4ml. Thinking this make work as carbon alternative instead of dosing Co2. Doing this can cut dose of Excel in 1/2.

·
Super Moderator
11,976 Posts
I am planning to make a solution with the Fizz tab, 1 cup of water and dose 4ml. Thinking this make work as carbon alternative instead of dosing Co2. Doing this can cut dose of Excel in 1/2.
How do you plan to store the Fizz tab solution long term? It is like a bottle of pop; eventually, it goes flat...

·
Registered
6,262 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How do you plan to store the Fizz tab solution long term? It is like a bottle of pop; eventually, it goes flat...
Well I thought there would still be something beneficial in the solution even when it was flat. Experimented with it and found that I am wrong.

So the only way to use the tabs is to put 1 in a small bottle and hook it up as a diy Co2. One only last 3 days. Only have 10 left thus that only gives me 30 days. I don't think I will use it in the tank with fish. The fluctuations might kill them. I will use them in the overgrowth tank.

Thanks everyone!! You saved my fish another experiment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts