The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone noticed that a white film will develop on the surface of their water if there's no circulation from CO2? I've noticed this after a few days develop whenever I have co2. What is this and how can it be avoided, apart from having constant surface agitation?

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
There was a poll a while back about this an I can't find it. It your's really white?

Mine has just been a viscous surface layer, still clear. Holds the O2 from the plants. :)

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Sounds like a protein buildup to me. Either raise your spraybar up a bit or get a surface extractor.

Tommy

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
aha! Found that thread...

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/36708-surface-scum-co2-survey.html

Thanks LS6Tommy...I just wanted to know if there was a way to avoid it altogether without having to resort to surface agitation (and therefore loose CO2 concentration in my H2O)...guess not!
Sounds like a protien buildup to me as well. Clean house a bit is the best tact and keep the overall flow of the WC up as much as ou can...Try to avoid a ripple at the surface so your not gassing out the CO2.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
CO2 concentration holding? I'm having trouble pushing the limits with my reactor and having a BBA party. :)
Film for now is a secondary issue till I can get the BBA stopped!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Lay some plain paper towel, the kind without dyes or scents, over the surface just before you do a WC. It will absorb most of the surface scum. Pull it out of the tank and the scum comes with it. Then do your water change. This works for me.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts