The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I pay around $11 at a local 'carbonic' store down here in Orlando. From previous posts, I think you'll find the pricing to be somewhat regional.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I pay $20 at the local fire supply store for a fill while I wait. It is overpriced but the secretary is extra hot and wears a high skirt and low cut top. I think I am going to get a smaller tank to make more frequent trips to get the tank filled now that I think about.:smile:

·
Registered
25 Posts
I am paying $26 here in Wyoming for a 5 lbs. When I lived in Colorado I paid less than $10 for 5 lbs a year ago.

·
Registered
114 Posts
It seems like it might really pay to get the phone book out and make calls and see what you can find.

When I got into co2, I bought a NEW 10 lb aluminum tank. First time I went to get it filled, at a local fire extinguisher place, I ended up leaving somewhere around $28. They said I needed some kind of stickers on the tank, which was 3 or 4 bucks of the total.

Second time, I went to the same place and it was $23 just for the fill. Still seemed a bit steep.

The other day I saw my tank getting low, so I started to call around. I tried Airgas, but they only exchange. I'm almost sorry I didn't just get into that. But now, it would be hard to watch my pretty, lighter aluminum tank go away and end up with some clunky old steel one.

Anyway, the guy at Airgas was still very helpful. The place I had been going is right up the street from them. He sort of laughed a bit when I told him I went there. He said best to stay away, they sort of like to rip folks. Then he gave me a name of another place a couple miles away that is filling my 10 lb for $8.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I paid about $24 last time I filled my 10 lb'er. But that was over a year and a half ago ;) I haven't found any place around here that will fill tanks for you on the spot. The only ones I've ever used just do exchanges, which is fine if it's not one you bought and/or a nice looking one. Mine's an heavy green one. Quite ugly, but it's under the stand!

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
I get mine filled (15#) at a local welding shop who also specializes in spec gas. I pay about double for 'food grade' CO2, about $22, but since that lasts me a couple years its well worth the extra $10 to have the peice of mind its certified for human consumption and has no poisenous welding gasses in there.

I read a while ago about the dangers in using welding grade gas and a tank that has not been cleaned, but it seems since I put my setup together it has never come up since.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
Welding grade vs food grade. That's funny. Do you wear a kick me sign also?

There are two basic grades of CO2 in the US. One is 99.99% pure with the primary contaminant being water and the other is 99.999% pure and is medical grade. There is a higher grade used in the semiconductor industry but it's really expensive.

The standard grade 99.99% pure is used for welding and food. If it's contaminated it happens at the place that dispenses it. I bet if you followed the guy in the back you would see they have ONE CO2 tank that they fill from.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.