The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
This comes up over and over every few years. The Cerges and Rex Griggs reactors are proven designs, and every little nuance is there for a reason. This might not be the thing to be experimenting with... the odds are far greater that you'll end up creating a worse light bulb =(

·
Registered
920 Posts
From what I've seen, people fill up the housing a type of media of their choosing. I plan on taking a sponge that ill cut to size for a disk or two, and then fill the rest of the housing with small lava rocks. Im gonna try about 1/3 sponge and 2/3 lava rock.

Sent from my SM-A215U1 using Tapatalk
I had a lot of success with getting 100% co2 absorption with nothing in the reactor. The churning motion at the top of the filter housing was enough to dissolve everything without pushing any bubbles to the bottom.

Bump:
CO2 will simply dissolve in water, as long as there is enough surface area of the gas bubbles (diffuser), or there is something that keep the bubble tumbling in current (reactor). The purpose of this discussion is that there needs to be the correct amount of water flow for the amount of CO2 you're injecting. Too much flow, and the water pushes the bubbles out of the reactor. To little flow, and the bubbles gather into a pocket at the top of the reactor.
This.

·
Registered
28 Posts
[/url]DIY Co2 reactor by Ravs Rect, on Flickr[/IMG]

I built this based on REX design...
I know you guys have moved forward with Cerges design... I just saw this thread and thought of sharing it incase anyone wants to try it out.

THis was also simple Home Depot and Lowes stuff..

41 - 43 of 43 Posts