The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if the electronic unit that uses a carbon block that it runs a current through, which then releases CO2 from the block into the aquarium works. Or if anyone has used it and had success.

Just seems less complicated if it works that is

·
Registered
471 Posts
It doesn't do precisely nothing, but it doesn't work the way it's supposed to either. Nor is it $50 every three months.

I used one for about six months, and found that the blocks (~$30) were only good for about half their mass, which took about a month. I also only saw very modest improvement in growth with it running during that time.

The things that folks say about them aren't precisely correct, but the bottom line is pretty much dead on: they're expensive and disappointing.

·
Registered
13,609 Posts
They are good up to about a 55 gallon tank and you need the ugly block in the tank(or sump). I liked the idea when I saw it some decades now.....ago. But few people use it and you can google the responses.

Merrill used one for a few years and then finally gave up and got a Gas tank, he was much happier. Never could drive enough CO2 for his 90 gal tank, he was amazed because he never saw what full CO2 dosing was capable of.

I suspect many are in this same boat by not adding enough CO2....then others go too far the other way and gas their fish.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
It's a cool toy. If they ever improve the tech with more efficient materials I would imagine it'd be a much easier thing to use than a hulking co2 tank. I would like to try one out but I'm not because my skin isn't made of paper money.

·
Registered
5,370 Posts
I had one and it did very little or nothing, Carbo Plus. They end up being very expensive as well with the cost of the replacement block and the wires and other parts corrode in the water, plus they are ugly!

They have been around for 8 to 10 years and are hardly ever mentioned, so that should tell you something.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
That looks like an awesome toy. Too bad it's so effecient. Does the reaction occur out side of water? Or does it have to be moist.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
I was under the impression that it was a reaction with O2 which is in the air and is made through electrolysis of water so it can operate underwater. I honestly without knowing more can't say that's exactly how it works though.

·
Premium Member
2,575 Posts
It would have to pull O2 out of the water, actually splitting the water and using that oxygen would be a two step, more complicated system.
That makes even less sense. A reaction like that would deplete all the O2 in the tank VERY quickly. And don't tell me the plants are putting out o2 to counteract it because not all of it gets recycled back. My guess of electrolysis was just as wrong though because apparently it works by withdrawing bicarbonate: http://fins.actwin.com/aquatic-plants/month.200005/msg00254.html

Now I imagine someone getting a 5 gallon water drum, drilling some holes for wires, filling it up of a saturated sodium bicarbonate solution and gluing in a needle valve at the top. lol

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.