The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put 2 different drop checkers in my 10 gal. tank to compare results and see what level I'm at. One a CalAqua
Labs nano, one a Up-Aqua model. I get substantially different readings on the 2,the CalAqua showing blue, the Up-Aqua showing yellow. The CalAqu uses only the reagent, no aquarium water. The Up-Aqua using tank water and reagent. Has anyone else made this comparison, and what do you think might account for the difference? Is there a better method to verify the CO2 level?

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
If one uses tank water and the other a specific re agent, you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Ideally you want to use a 4dkh solution and something like the liquid api ph drops. If you don't have exactly the same medium in both there is no point trying to compare.

Reactions: flight50 and DaveK

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use 2 Drop Checkers, one uses a 4DKH solution the other uses tank water, the colours are different, but the results/readings are almost identical, each has its own instructions with separate colour comparison charts.

·
Registered
143 Posts
one thing to consider too is if the drop checkers are in a different location inside the tank, readings might vary. things to consider is water flow and dead spots. t

·
Registered
424 Posts
Canary in the coal mine- fish alive- Co2 ok fish dead- co2 overload

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
If one uses tank water and the other a specific re agent, you're trying to compare apples to oranges. Ideally you want to use a 4dkh solution and something like the liquid api ph drops. If you don't have exactly the same medium in both there is no point trying to compare.
I second this. 4dkh is pretty much your testing solution. pH indicator, RO or distilled is what some use to get pure water but I still don't think it yields result like 4dkh. Some people make their own and others like myself just buy it from someone else that already did it.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I'm going to go by the one that uses the 4dkh standard reagent, Thanks for the input.?
You shouldn't need to buy a different drop checker. Just use a 4dkh solution instead of tank water in it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts