The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently trying to buy a drop checker. I went on GLA but their drop checkers are about 30 bucks. :( Has anyone had any experience with a cheaper and dependable drop checker from eBay or some place else?

G

·
I use a ebay drop checker the only thing was I had to buy 4 dkh also. I think GLA it comes with 4 dkh as well which saves you money and shipping..

·
Registered
217 Posts
It came with a solution, too be honest I never paid attention to what the solution is. Again, I'm pretty new to this. It does not surprise me that I'm unable to get my CO2 up to satisfactory, I'm using a Red Sea Yeast reactor on a 38 gallon tank. I've been told that this will not do the job, but I was hoping.

are you using 4 dkh inside it or what are you using inside??

·
Banned
5,009 Posts

I've used two of the plastic Red Sea CO2 indicators. They have a white "middle area" that makes it easy to read the color. It comes with the Bromothymol blue pH indicator solution, but it doesn't come with the 4 dKH solution.You will either need to make your own or purchase it separately. The instructions that comes with this product is wrong. It says to use aquarium water, which is incorrect. Use a 4 dKH solution along with the Bb pH indicator.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1380875/cl0/redseaco2indicator
http://www.cheappetproducts.net/RED_SEA_CO2_INDICATOR-P47150.html
http://www.dtpetsupplies.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=974

SuMo sells dKH solutions. They have 3 different solutions. Their 30 ppm solution is the 4 dKH solution.
http://www.sumoregulator.com/DropCheckerSolutions.html

GLA has the 4 dKH solution.
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

G

·
I have never used one so I cant say but I would think a DIY could be done with that size tank. How much movement do you have on the surface? Do you have plenty of water movement/flow in the tank to get the co2 around the tank?

I would see what the solution is. You need 4 dkh and CO2 test reagent (bromothymol blue) to use it correct.

G

·
Either one of them will work. You can even make your own. But its not the problem you need 4 dkh still. I would use what you have and just buy 4 dkh.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I use the Red Sea its easy to read, But the color is off on any off the shelf checkers
unless you use the 4 dkh solution. Sumo online has 4 dhk at a good price and it already has color agent in it. I use that with the Red Sea checker.

PS-Dementedmindz-Go Phils!!!

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
SUMO does have a fair priced solution. How does it work though? Can someone explain me how to use the solution once I get it? Do you have to change the solution once and awhile or does it last forever?

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
SUMO does have a fair priced solution. How does it work though? Can someone explain me how to use the solution once I get it? Do you have to change the solution once and awhile or does it last forever?
Don't forget that you can make your own 4 dkH solution too. Here are the instructions.
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/general-planted-tank-discussion/42429-kh-standard-how.html

In order to use your 4 dkH reference solution, pipette a bit into the drop checker and then add enough drops of bromothymol blue (often the "indicator solution" that is sold with most drop checkers. If not, you can use the API regular pH test kit, as the test reagent is bromothymol blue). This is usually about 4-6 drops; you want the colour to be deep enough to see, but not opaque.

Some people like to change their 4 dkH solution once every other week, or with every water change, etc. I just leave it in there and change it whenever I feel like it (not often).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks DarkBlade! I will try that when I have a little more experience in this. For now, I think I'm going to have to buy the drop checker from ebay and purchase the solution SUMO sells it and put it in the drop checker. Do you think thats a good idea?

G

·
DUHK if you have the money go for it if you like it better. I dont think your going to like it better then a glass one though. Glass can be hard to read unless you paint the back or put something behind it. I would stick with what you have and just buy what sumo sells.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh! I don't have a drop checker yet. That's why I was wondering if you guys could tell me a good drop checker I could use. I don't have a large budget so whatever drop checker that is best for its price would help me out a lot.

G

·
To be honest if you have a tight budget buy what you can for now. I dont use mine much anymore. You can even make one. But I would buy the solution SUMO sells thats nice. I bookmarked that so when and if I buy new solution. Just buy what you feel you can buy now as I am sure it wont matter later when you get the feel of it more. I always use a drop checker when starting a new tank and after so long I take them out.

G

·
yeah I would start out at that. you can even make it if you want as well if you have a good test kit. its very easy to make. then you save yourself money for plants or what ever else you want.

·
Super Moderator
12,130 Posts
Thanks DarkBlade! I will try that when I have a little more experience in this. For now, I think I'm going to have to buy the drop checker from ebay and purchase the solution SUMO sells it and put it in the drop checker. Do you think thats a good idea?
You can do whatever you are comfortable with. Since I have access to analytical grade chemicals as well as analytical glassware (volumetric flasks, analytical scales, etc), I make my own 4 dkH solution in the lab.

Oh! I don't have a drop checker yet. That's why I was wondering if you guys could tell me a good drop checker I could use. I don't have a large budget so whatever drop checker that is best for its price would help me out a lot.
It doesn't really matter which you pick, they all perform the same function. I have some DIY drop checkers that I made for < 2 USD and they work just as well as a cheap glass drop checker I got in Hong Kong for (the equivalent) of 6 USD. I am sure these will work just as well as an expensive ADA drop checker. Here is a picture of my DIY drop checker (shameless plug!)

I see. That makes a lot of sense. Thanks for all of your advice! For the SUMO solution, I buy the 30 ppm one right?
Yes, you want a 4 dkH reference solution (which will be green when the CO2 level is 30 ppm).

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thank you sooo much demented and dark for all this information! I was afraid of stepping into this because I wasn't clear on all this stuff but now you guys have made me confident with my knowledge! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.