The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Helloooo... :)
Something strange has happened.. my drop checker has always been fine, and worked really well.. until today.

I have no idea what happened, but it's gone bright yellow. As it started to lighten, I noticed and turned off the co2.. that was yesterday.. so the co2 is off, and has been for 2 days.

I did a water change even (about 50% water change) and the drop checker remains bright yellow, and is getting even more yellow.. what could have caused this?

I changed the fluid in it about a week ago.. I'm worried about my CRS in the tank, but they're not acting strange, so I'm baffled about what's going on.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Change the fluid - the issue is evaporation.
I haven't been able to figure out if its tank water evaporating and getting into the drop checker, or drop checker water evaporating and increasing the KH concentration, but eventually something evaporates somewhere and your drop checker will be permanantly yellow.
Mine got so bad I could take it out of the tank and it still wouldn't turn back to blue, just a greenish yellow.

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Got the Co2 turned back on at a nice steady 12 bpm.. drop checker slowly going green again. :)
I wonder how you could fine tune it to be 12 bpm. That is 1 bubble per 5 seconds, is that even possible?

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
That is so interesting. The slowest I ever got mine was .5 - 1 bps. I mean, isn't that the minimum though because any less than that the CO2 is too minimal to be at its optimal effectiveness?

PS: I only have a paintball regulator that I am using so I guess that is why I can't fine tune it further with its needle valve.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts