The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There seems to be so many ways to distribute Co2 however Co2 distribution & maintenance levels are not always easy to achieve!
Certain respected members on the forum continuously advise increased Co2 levels to solve the majority of tank problems.
I was wondering how the expert achieve constant 30ppm during the photo period especially in our larger tanks.
What type of reactor or diffuser do you use on a 50gal + tank.
How is the gas distributed, a spray bar? a spray bar near the bottom?

·
Registered
50 Posts
I honestly bet either way will get you where you want to be.
I'm currently using an inline PVC reactor off a canister outlet, through an inline heater, and into the tank via a line-loc nozzle. I get good results with this.
But I like the simplicity of needle wheel distribution. I'll probably move to that method next and remove the inline reactor.
Good luck.....

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
But...how is the Co2 enriched water directed around the tank?

How do you ensure all the corners are reached especially in Dutch style or "heavily planted with bigger plants" style tanks?

I just ask these questions because there seems to be two main issues revolving around algae & Co2 - to prevent algae ensure even & thorough distribution of the gas......

·
Registered
474 Posts
I have a 120 gal heavily planted W/ 2 Eheim 2028's one open output just below the surface for a little surface circulation, the other output = vertical spraybar @ the other end of tank W/ inline reactor. Also 2 50mm ceramic diffusers under 600GPH powerheads one @ each end blowing fine mists to the center @ different levels, run co2 18 hrs daily, Dosing EI, & root tabs 40% WC weekly. Lighting 2X 54W T5's 12 Hrs Daily + 1hr burst of 6X54w T5's.. Works well, if I slack of on water changes for a few days get GDA on glass easy to clean & does'nt seem 2return when I do scheduled water changes BGA always seems to be close @ hand ...but I could cut back on the light a little or add more nitrates ...
Just personal findings on MY tank, Hope it helps ....Me thinks..The only time you have too much CO2 is when your fish are gasping !

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks that's gives a better insight, so you have three gas outlets.
How are you dividing the Co2, do you have one bottle & regulator or two?

·
Registered
474 Posts
One tank & reg, 3 way splitter with three needle valves. Have tried double diffusers of varying kinds but continuously fluctuating pressure differentials makes hard work of it. One quality needle valve per diffuser is the only way to go for optimum regulation of Co2.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts