The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm setting up a 15x15x15cm rimless tank and having trouble figuring out if there's enough CO2 in my tank.

The diffuser I'm using seems to just let all the bubbles rise to the surface instead of diffusing. Is there any other way to diffuse CO2 into a pico sized tank?

Side note: I plan to be adding this filter into the tank once it arrives

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...title_huc_3?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A3USXFSFSG1RZ1

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Cool little tank - love it's magical anti-gravity levitating ability! :wink2:

Try and get the diffuser as low down as possible (might mean part-burying the glass U-bend beneath in substrate so that it touches the tank bottom) to give maximum water depth for the bubbles to diffuse over. Not easy with a shallow tank! And position it under the filter return, as @ Asteroid said, once that arrives. Try and find a spot where the returning flow takes the CO2 bubbles back down into the water and disperses them around the tank as much as possible.

How will you be monitoring CO2 levels? Would there be a risk of getting too much CO2 from a 'big' diffuser in a tiny tank if you get the bubbles diffusing too well?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool little tank - love it's magical anti-gravity levitating ability! :wink2:

Try and get the diffuser as low down as possible (might mean part-burying the glass U-bend beneath in substrate so that it touches the tank bottom) to give maximum water depth for the bubbles to diffuse over. Not easy with a shallow tank! And position it under the filter return, as @ Asteroid said, once that arrives. Try and find a spot where the returning flow takes the CO2 bubbles back down into the water and disperses them around the tank as much as possible.

How will you be monitoring CO2 levels? Would there be a risk of getting too much CO2 from a 'big' diffuser in a tiny tank if you get the bubbles diffusing too well?
Haha sorry I didn't see this until now. I'm using a rather large CO2 indicator with pH liquid inside. The tank is doing very well now. I'm using a hang on back pico filter. The s repens grew extremely well and the baby tears and thriving now. I'm running a long CO2 line to this tank with a three way splitter! Running this alongside 2 other tanks

Bump: Here's a little update

Bump:

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
So I actually just bought the Aquario diffuser based on some suggestions, and this thing is very small. I have not set it up but the bubbles are supposed to be very tiny. The tube is acrylic and you are supposed to heat it and bend it to the size of your glass rim. if you could position it under the flow of your filter it may give the bubbles more time to diffuse?

https://shop.glassaqua.com/products/aquario-neo-extended-acrylic-co2-diffuser

·
Registered
59 Posts
Be real careful when heating up that diffuser to bend it. They make it look really easy in the video but I almost melted a hole in mine when I did it. It will go from seemingly stiff to molten very quickly. I'd maybe recommend holding it an inch or so over a candle and moving it back and forth for a while instead of holding it in the lighter flame like the video shows. Otherwise that is a great diffuser and makes nice tiny bubbles. Only reason I replaced mine was to go inline.

With your size tank you probably don't need to worry too much about placement of the diffuser. If there is any current at all the diffusion should be fine. I have seen many great looking tanks here and in stores that seem to have most of the bubbles rising straight to the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts