The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm finally setting up my tank with CO2, so I'm pretty excited about that. Now that I have a regulator (and soon, a CO2 cylinder), I need to figure out how to actually get the CO2 into my tank. So... can anyone share advantages and disadvantages of the different methods? I don't know anything at all about the subject, so keep that in mind!!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've stumbled on a pretty good diffuser. I'm using a GLA simple disc diffuser but it is sending its bubbles right into a clump of java moss which catches the vast majority of the bubbles which then slowly disappear. Cheap and seems to be effective.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
You can diffuse the CO2 with something mounted in the tank or with something outside the tank. The latter keeps the tank more free of mechanical clutter, but the former seems to be the most effective (but it may not be.) For in the tank methods, you can try for "CO2 mist", a cloud of very fine CO2 bubbles that fills the whole tank, and gets CO2 right to the leaves of all the plants, or you can try to just dissolve all of the CO2 into the water. The former method is extremely effective, but many, including me, aren't too happy with the constant haze of bubbles in the water.

The DIY external reactor, made from 2" diameter PVC pipe, is very easy to make, and very effective, especially for medium size tanks. Mazzei venturi external diffusers are extremely effective for big tanks, but a royal pain to keep working just as you want them to (so I hear). Needlewheel powerheads are a compromise - almost as effective as the Mazzei venturi, but a lot easier to use.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm. I definitely don't want a constant haze of bubbles. Is it really that bad?

So, if I wanted an "in tank" method, what options do I have that don't require DIY? I'm a student in a really rigorous program and I won't have time to make anything. The tanks keep me busy enough as it is!

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for your help, but both of those threads refer to DIY and external stuff, which is exactly what I didn't want. Trust me when I say that I really, seriously don't have time to build anything. Even if it doesn't take long to make, I'll have to read up on how to do it, then I'll have to go buy the stuff. in all, it's going to take a few hours at best. I really don't have the time :icon_frow I really appreciate your help though!

I'm just looking for something I can buy that will efficiently distribute CO2. Anyone else?

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a red sea reactor 500 that i am willing to sell if you are interested.

·
Premium Member
1,055 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What size tank did you use it on? I checked the product out on different websites, but it says that it will only diffuse up to 3 bps. I really don't know much about CO2, but I thought that a lot of people have higher rates than that?

Thanks for letting me know though!

Anyone else? Most efficient way to deliver CO2 without having to build anything? I'm still lost. If there's a method that has been pointed out that you think is very efficient, please explain it to me! I don't think I'm any closer to figuring out what I'm going to use.

·
Registered
121 Posts
What size tank did you use it on? I checked the product out on different websites, but it says that it will only diffuse up to 3 bps. I really don't know much about CO2, but I thought that a lot of people have higher rates than that?

Thanks for letting me know though!

Anyone else? Most efficient way to deliver CO2 without having to build anything? I'm still lost. If there's a method that has been pointed out that you think is very efficient, please explain it to me! I don't think I'm any closer to figuring out what I'm going to use.
I used it on a 55g tank running 4bps with no issues. The only reason I am not using it now is cause I built a inline reactor. this is what red seas sight says.
Highly efficient CO2 Reactor 500 that includes an adjustable flow water pump and can dissolve over 180 bubbles of CO2 per min
The math only comes out to 3bps but I never had any issues. If you are intrested let my know.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Does it make any noise? If it works great, why are you building an inline reactor?
I makes a small hum, i have been told they all do that. i did inline cause I have a sump on my tank and it would just not keep up with almost a 150 gallons of water. that and I dont have anything but plants and fish in the tank so it was in the sump, and did not work great in the sump, but on my 55g tank that was all i ran.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.