The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have some questions about Co2 diffusions and if there are any advantages to using one over the other. I know that there're examples of all methods being used for great results, but I would like to know if anyone has input on if the delivery of Co2 has any effect on the plants, or if it's just diffused co2 = diffused co2.

I currently use a cerges reactor that does its job, but outside of green aqua, and Corvus Oscen, I don't see many youtubers use a reactor. George farmer uses inline and in-tank diffusers, Aquapros appears to use in-tank/inline diffusers, TropicTank channel uses in tank diffusers, Aquarium Co-op uses an in-tank diffuser right under the sump return pump to his plant holding tanks in the warehouse. The ADA gallery appears to use in-tank diffusers.

All of these people are more than capable of creating or buying a reactor and all but the TropicTank channel use either a sump or a canister filter that would allow them to plumb in a reactor. So I'm wondering if there is a positive effect on the plants with the soda water from the in-tank diffusers, or the smoke water from inline diffusers.

·
Registered
1,114 Posts
I don't believe there are any other reasons besides preference. I've used a fluval ceramic diffuser and currently use an Ista Turbo reactor. For me, I'd like to get my money's worth from my co2 refills. I honestly don't mind the sprite water look.

I guess ease of use would be one factor. I'd assume it would be more convenient to clean the in tank diffuser vs an in-line reactor. My reactor is starting to get some fuzz inside.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't believe there are any other reasons besides preference. I've used a fluval ceramic diffuser and currently use an Ista Turbo reactor. For me, I'd like to get my money's worth from my co2 refills. I honestly don't mind the sprite water look.

I guess ease of use would be one factor. I'd assume it would be more convenient to clean the in tank diffuser vs an in-line reactor. My reactor is starting to get some fuzz inside.
I thought about preference/appearance, but I kept coming back to the idea that if a reactor is the best for saving on CO2 and diffusion rates, then why don't they all run one.
For glass show stands I can understand not wanting a bulky reactor under there showing, but for stands that are made out of wood/other materials why not run the reactor instead of the inline diffuser?

I've read that allowing the Co2 bubbles to come into contact with the plants provides them with higher amounts of localized Co2. Is this at all based in reality, or is it just assumption?

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've read that allowing the Co2 bubbles to come into contact with the plants provides them with higher amounts of localized Co2. Is this at all based in reality, or is it just assumption?
I have read this too, noteably on Dennis Wongs' site 2hr Aquarist.
So if he's saying it I think most believe it to be accurate.

I have two tanks, one set up with a sump and Griggs Reactor, the other with an in-line diffuser and cannister filter, which was just set up recently. Personally Im trying to get used to the micro bubbles all over the tank and not sure I like it. Also Ive noticed that the fish are less active with the co2 micro bubbles even though Im not near saturation levels of co2. They just seem to not like the micro bubbles. Anybody else noticed this?

The other tank, with sump, 3 ft griggs reactor, 10 micron filter bag, and a UV sterilizer has crystal clear water all the time; ALL co2 is dissolved before any bubbles reach the tank, it has a higher co2 level, and the fish are all out and acting normal.

Personally like crystal clear water and active fish so Im going to build another reactor and jettison the in line microbubble factory.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
It mostly comes down to preference. I have used in-tank diffusers on smaller tanks and my 40 breeder was using an in-line atomizer, but recently I switched to a reactor and I'm loving it. I didn't like the trillions of micro bubbles in the tank as it made viewing less enjoyable. Tom Barr did note that plants photosynthesize more with a co2 mist, because I think it's reasonable that the co2 bubbles coming into physical contact with the leaves does increase localized co2 levels for the plants, but that mist...it was so annoying. Some people like it!

My advice would be to try it, see how it performs for you in your tank, and go from there. If you already have a reactor that meets your needs, you can always reinstall it if you decide the mist isn't for you.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It mostly comes down to preference. I have used in-tank diffusers on smaller tanks and my 40 breeder was using an in-line atomizer, but recently I switched to a reactor and I'm loving it. I didn't like the trillions of micro bubbles in the tank as it made viewing less enjoyable. Tom Barr did note that plants photosynthesize more with a co2 mist, because I think it's reasonable that the co2 bubbles coming into physical contact with the leaves does increase localized co2 levels for the plants, but that mist...it was so annoying. Some people like it!

My advice would be to try it, see how it performs for you in your tank, and go from there. If you already have a reactor that meets your needs, you can always reinstall it if you decide the mist isn't for you.
I stuck my neo diffuser in the tank just as a test, but it seems like the 9 or so months since I originally had it installed the top had come loose because it was shooting out large bubbles around the base. The bubbles in the tank at the same bubble count as I run in the reactor were almost too much to handle, and this was with most of the CO2 shooting out without being turned into micro bubbles. In a smaller/shorter length, or lower light intensity aquarium, this is probably fixed by running less BPS and turning it on earlier for a longer ramp-up period.

It does seem to come down to preference/aesthetics though. Since creating this thread I haven't been able to find anything that has said one method is superior to the other for plant growth/coloration/health.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I use the large Aquario Neo, easier to clean than my former reactor, and then the inline diffuser I had added to my canister filter outflow for a while. My plants love it, and I have no qualms with micro bubbles as I also run a Twinstar Yotta+ in my 75 gallon. Yes, there are a few micro bubbles, especially when the Yotta turns on, but they clear off fast and with the Kessils the water still looks sparkling clear, and no one who ever looked at this tank ever said anything about bubbles.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.