The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks, just lookin for some opinions here. Will be aquiring a 72" long 125g tank from a seller on craigslist in the next few days. Planning on making it a discus tank, planted with pressurized CO2. Now, on a tank this large, my concern is getting the CO2 dispersed well enough through the whole tank. One thing I may consider is the mist method with a DIY spraybar. But I'm more leaning towards perhaps a Rhinox 5000 on each end of the tank, with each one below a powerhead.

Any thoughts on whether this would be sufficient? Also, if I go this route, will I need a 2 way manifold on my regulator, with separate needle valves? I'm thinking that Teeing off a common line would just make the CO2 follow the path of least resistance, if one Rhinox disc plugs up more than the other...

How bout if I went with an external reactor, with the reactor discharge Teeing off to diffuse at opposite ends of the tank?

thanks in advance :icon_smil

·
Registered
98 Posts
It would be best to have 2 needle valves to control the 2 lines. I have my CO2 running into the bottom of a powerhead. The powehead chops it up and sprays it around the tank. I would go with one at each end. For maximum distrubution.

MAHA

·
Registered
754 Posts
My 125's pH is being pushed down to 7.1 from 8.2 (kH 7, GH 11) with nothing more than the CO2 being run into the inlet of a powerhead. I haven't counted but I'd say its bubbling at about 3 to 4 bubbles per second.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 125's pH is being pushed down to 7.1 from 8.2 (kH 7, GH 11) with nothing more than the CO2 being run into the inlet of a powerhead. I haven't counted but I'd say its bubbling at about 3 to 4 bubbles per second.
Just one line and one powerhead? Whereabouts in your tank is it mounted? Which powerhead do you use, and do the bubble disperse a good ways around the tank?

Thanks for the replies. :icon_bigg

·
Registered
754 Posts
One line, its a moderate sized powerhead, its a Pro 4, I can't remeber the brand name but its not a huge capacity powerhead or anything. I've an aquaclear powerhead pre-filter on it and I've jammed the CO2 line into the plastic slits in the pre-filter.

The powerhead is on the end of the tank and pushes the mist into the tank. The powerhead output is pointed down to push things around the tank. This all being said, I've a very low planting density and I've no experience with high densities and how much carbon they'll pull from the water.

When I do my new tank I'll probably build and external inline reactor to keep as many things out of the tank as possible.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.