The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 5 pound pressurized cylinder and milwaukee regulator in my setup. I just need to diffuse the co2 now. Will a glass diffuser to a good job of diffusion in a 20 gallon? I have 65 watts of pc lighting and i need good co2 levels. My drop checker gets a greenish yellow color with the current using a mini internal filter as a diffuser but it is always getting dirty and a pain to clean? Should I use a glass diffuser, buy a reactor (if so,what kind....not expensive either) or should i use a powerhead?

·
Registered
414 Posts
In my 20 gallon long, I have a nano ceramic diffuser bought on Ebay. Works great.
But I also use the powerhead method in my 29g and that works great as well. If you need the flow the internal filter provides, go for a powerhead. If you have plenty of flow, ceramic diffusers will work and are cheaper too.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I am in the same position right now too. I was going to buy this reactor
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+15524&pcatid=15524
since it was recommended and i heard good reviews, but found a hagen mini elite at my local petco so i went with this super easy and cheap ($10) DIY project.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...s/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html
I haven't set it up yet (still waiting on a few parts in the mail) but i have heard nothing but good reviews for this method of diffusing.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
how would i diffuse through a powerhead exactly? Like how would you do it?

And isnt using the mini internal pretty much what i'm doing now? If it is, its just too much of an eye sore for me and it gets dirty to fast.

BTW, I forgot to mention i have a 20 gallon tall

·
Registered
429 Posts
I am in the same position right now too. I was going to buy this reactor
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3747+15524&pcatid=15524
since it was recommended and i heard good reviews, but found a hagen mini elite at my local petco so i went with this super easy and cheap ($10) DIY project.
http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/...s/44053-tiny-super-efficient-co2-reactor.html
I haven't set it up yet (still waiting on a few parts in the mail) but i have heard nothing but good reviews for this method of diffusing.
:biggrin:

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the glass diffusers seem pretty easy to use but can it help diffuse the co2 to high levels such as 30+ ppm? I want my drop checker to be able to turn yellow if i had too. Will it be better than what i'm using?

EDIT: Or how about using a ceramic air stone that is place right under a powerhead intake so the bubbles get sucked into the powerhead possibly breaking down the bubbles more?

·
Registered
414 Posts
I just shoved the tubing into the intake of the powerhead and let the impeller take care of the rest. Not much to clean either. I have a sponge pre-filter since at one time I had platy fry small enough to get sucked into it, but if your fish are large enough the AC line of powerheads don't need it, meaning nothing to clean.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now should I just getting an aquaclear powerhead and put the co2 line into it or should i get a rio 180 powerhead and make a reactor like tom barr did?

What works better and gives better results? Would using the aquaclear get me pretty much the same results or just overall good results? I just need a method that will help me get my plants pearling and make good use of my pressurized co2 system.

·
Premium Member
1,348 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Should the aquaclear method diffuse co2 effeciently enough to keep up with 65 watts of lighting and ei dosing? I am currently able to get a yellowish green color in my drop checker with my current diffusion through the fluval plus. It takes me about 4 to 5 bps to get it there.

·
Super Moderator
12,014 Posts
Should the aquaclear method diffuse co2 effeciently enough to keep up with 65 watts of lighting and ei dosing? I am currently able to get a yellowish green color in my drop checker with my current diffusion through the fluval plus. It takes me about 4 to 5 bps to get it there.
Your drop checker will be the best indicator of whether you are injecting enough CO2 :)

With the HOB Aquaclear, you might need to increase the CO2 a little, but try it out first, and watch your drop checker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts