The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have an UP CO2 Diffuser that is connected to a power head.

It has worked in the past however I am finding since I started my CO2 tank back up it has a hard time getting the tank to 30ppm . The balls either can't keep up with the CO2 or just stop rolling allowing the CO2 to fill up in the chamber.

I am looking at getting something different that I don't have to plug in another piece of equipment. I was looking at the glass diffusers or maybe even inline diffuser but I would like other opinions on what will work with a 75 gal tank.

As for the lights, I currently have a T5HO Aquaticlife 2 bulb unit that I am looking at doubling it up. However would it even make a difference since the lights will still be 21 inches above the substrate?

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
...I am looking at getting something different that I don't have to plug in another piece of equipment. I was looking at the glass diffusers or maybe even inline diffuser but I would like other opinions on what will work with a 75 gal tank.

As for the lights, I currently have a T5HO Aquaticlife 2 bulb unit that I am looking at doubling it up. However would it even make a difference since the lights will still be 21 inches above the substrate?
The glass diffusers don't do nearly as good a job as a reactor, or an inline atomic diffuser, on tanks larger than 40-50g. If you don't want misty/bubbles floating around in your water, go with a DIY reactor, or if you don't mind the bubbles then an atomic inline diffuser works just fine.

As for lighting, I would definitely recommend going to four T5HO bulbs if you want high light, otherwise you're looking at low to barely medium light with just two bulbs at that height. This is from my own experience, not based on any PAR chart.

·
Registered
492 Posts
I would recommend an in-line diffuser in the in-take line of a power head (best because of increased flow) or canister filter.

You may be right in between a 2 and a 4 bulb fixture. I have the 4 bulb Aquatic Life with 21" depth too and I went with that to get the built in timer with it. Now I can split the difference by running 2 then 2 bulbs with a peak period overlap.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Or, get a single BML for your 75.

Will definitely fix any light problem you may have.

How do you like that light?? When I went BML' website they said I would need 2-3 of their lights to replace my T5HOs and maintain the same amount of light, I am using 6 bulbs, I would be willing to get one since they are twice the price of the Finnex, have been looking all over the forum for reviews about what people think about the BML and Finnex LEDs, I really want to replace my current lamps.

To the OP:

I am running 6 T5HOs over my tank and have had amazing results, I have yet to find something that does not grow well in my aquarium. If you wanted to inrease your light so you can grow more demanding plants you can always go up to 4 or 6 bulbs. However, right now is a turning point for many hobbyists, I have been finding myself questioning if I want to continue buying 6 replacement bulbs every six months or if I just want to bite the bullet and upgrade to LEDs. The price for Finnex seems to be decent but they don't seem to produce as much light as the BML fixtures come in many configurations that the Finnex do not, you can buy single color lights and mix and match how you see fit, they also will allow you to choose the angle lens on your fixture.

As for a diffuser, I like to see the bubbles myself, so I am using a glass style diffuser, but I will be swapping to a GLA 75MM Atomic diffuser soon, if seems to have good results and has a built in check valve so that will help keep your entire co2 line free of aquarium water and help protect your expensive co2 equipment.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
How do you like that light?? When I went BML' website they said I would need 2-3 of their lights to replace my T5HOs and maintain the same amount of light, I am using 6 bulbs, I would be willing to get one since they are twice the price of the Finnex, have been looking all over the forum for reviews about what people think about the BML and Finnex LEDs, I really want to replace my current lamps.
Love it! I haven't measured PAR yet on the 75g with the single BML, but plan to do so soon. On my 125g with 2 of them I measure 125-130 PAR at my substrate (21" to the light). I don't even want that amount of light and nobody should want more than that. What PAR is your light?

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I don't remember what the PAR rating is on my lights, I have had these fixtures for a while. I don't really have any problems growing high light required things like DHG, other than the fact my TSAE eat my DHG. I really want to upgrade instead of buying new bulbs again..

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the replies :)

I am toying with the idea of LEDs.

As for the CO2 diffuser, inline seems to be the way to go I guess.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
Yeah most people will suggest an inline diffuser, supposed to work the best. I am still attempting to decide if I want to go with an inline diffuser or go with an in tank style.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts