The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lost 2 cardinal tetras, one a couple of days ago and one tonight. Could it be the co2? I was told as long as the fish is not at the surface or floating around they are probably ok. But they all do breathe more rapidly (especially my tetras) when co2 has been on for a couple of hours. I have decent surface agitation. Coincidence or co2? None of my other fish or catfish seems affected except for a little more rapid breathing.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It could be the CO2 or it could just be that small fish die easy. I do not suggest waiting for the fish to swim at the surface as when gassing mine, many did not go to the surface but just settled to the bottom. None died as I was here to spot the trouble but they were very close.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
But are you rate limiting the CO2 injection? I mean I have my CO2 regulator set at 40 PSI but I don't have my needle valve opened up all the way. If you don't have a needle valve then yes you're probably gassing the fish.
Yes im using a needle valve, bubble counter maybe 3 bubbles per second, but this is not an accurate measurement of how much gets dissolved.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
pH was 7.3 after lights off for 12 hours. So if it was 6.0 yesterday the co2 was probably more than 30 ppm. Gonna dial it to about 6.4 or 6.3 and see what happens. Say i have a kh of 2, then i had 60 ppm yesterday. Was trying to find info on cardinal tetra co2 sensitivity but the answers varied.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.