The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
The price for the "full" 20lb cylinder is really good. I purchased my 20lb cylinder from Beverage Factory in San Diego with shipping to Chicago for $107.50. With another $15.00 to have it filled locally. I think the Aquariumplants.com's prices is very reasonable for the "full" (with gas). I should have ordered it from them along with my regulator from them.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Honestly those are really nice but the shipping and if you wanted them full is just too much. If you go to your local welding supply store you get a full 5lb tank for like $80. The think you need to know is you need to get a certificate of safety every year. So if you get it from a welding supply place you just bring your tank back empty then they give you a new full one. You won't have to wait to get it filled.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Honestly those are really nice but the shipping and if you wanted them full is just too much. If you go to your local welding supply store you get a full 5lb tank for like $80. The think you need to know is you need to get a certificate of safety every year. So if you get it from a welding supply place you just bring your tank back empty then they give you a new full one. You won't have to wait to get it filled.
It's a hydrotest that has to be done every 5 years, not every year. I got an empty 15# tank on eBay for $67 shipped. Filled it for ~$13. $80 filled. :)

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
The thing that keeps me from getting nice shiney new tanks is there is nowhere around here that fills. they all swap. this isn't a bad thing since it means you always have an up to date tank.

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
It's a hydrotest that has to be done every 5 years, not every year.

Correct. Some other things to consider when going to get your 1st CO2 cylinder:

You always have to buy the first cylinder, whether you plan on doing an exchange or a refill. I wouldn't bother to invest in a shiny fancy aluminum cylinder, but that's just me. I recommend going with the exchange. If you buy/refill, you're responsible for hydrotesting and recertification. If you exchange, it's the company that supplied the cylinder's problem. Eventually you'll have to replace the cylinder anyway.

Also, the DOT and the EPA are considering limiting the useable lifespan of 3156 T6 aluminum cylinders due to stress cracks at the neck and valve areas. They've already banned making any more new ones from 3156 T6.

Tommy <9))>>{

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
The prices at my local welding shop seem to have gone up since I bought my first 15# steel tank. I'm looking at a totaly new setup and might buy an aluminum 20# or 35# tank. The funny thing is that the 20# new aluminum tanks from aquariumplants are cheaper than the local used steel tanks (I'm including shipping in that comparison too). So in my case, even if I was to swap in, it would still be cheaper for me to order a new aluminum tank. But they refill here anyways.

·
Banned
582 Posts
It's a hydrotest that has to be done every 5 years, not every year. I got an empty 15# tank on eBay for $67 shipped. Filled it for ~$13. $80 filled. :)
LOL I think we bought from the same person. That's what I paid for mine.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts