The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was trolling evilbay and saw a sort of diy co2 system called 'the co2 crew'
It seemed to be essentially a diy setup as many of us do with 2liter bottles, yeast sugar, water. but instead they send you the setup in a 5 gallon bucket and claim it can last forever if kept supplied with water and sugar.
Has anyone used this in their aquarium? Does it even build up enough pressure to go through a diffuser, or will a ladder diffuser work best? How practical is this thing?

if you're curious to know what I'm talking about just go to evilbay and search co2 crew. its a big blue 5 gallon bucket for a picture.

·
Registered
492 Posts
IDK, if I'd go that route. I used to make beer in a 5 gallon bucket and I wouldn't trust a system like that to not make a mess if the pressure got too high. I can see those bungs blowing out at the pressure required to run some diffusers. Not to mention recharging it and cleaning it would eventually be a PITA. If you need that much CO2 just spend the money and go pressurized. In the long run it will be cheaper than sugar and your time.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going pressurized for my 90 gallon, that's not an issue. Seeing this just got me curious about it.
I don't think the pressure would get so high that it would blow the top off this as that the pressure that builds up in a 2liter bottle is extremely high and it causes no issues with a lid that is not nearly as strong.
I can see it being a pain to clean up, and recharge.

I might try it just for giggles.

·
Registered
963 Posts
IDK, if I'd go that route. I used to make beer in a 5 gallon bucket and I wouldn't trust a system like that to not make a mess if the pressure got too high. Not to mention recharging it and cleaning it would eventually be a PITA. If you need that much CO2 just spend the money and go pressurized. In the long run it will be cheaper than sugar and your time.
I agree! I'm a homebrewer too and the size of a 5-6 gallon bucket or carboy takes up too much space. A paintball set-up has a smaller footprint, much more reliable supply of CO2 and is cleaner. Save the sugar for making beer! :bounce:

·
Registered
492 Posts
I am going pressurized for my 90 gallon, that's not an issue. Seeing this just got me curious about it.
I don't think the pressure would get so high that it would blow the top off this as that the pressure that builds up in a 2liter bottle is extremely high and it causes no issues with a lid that is not nearly as strong.
I can see it being a pain to clean up, and recharge.

I might try it just for giggles.
The difference with a 2L is the lid screws down. Those buckets don't. The bungs are where you will likely get a leak not the lid but there are stories of home-brewers airlocks getting clogged and the lid blowing off and making a total mess. Just food for thought. Good luck :) and let us know how it goes.

I agree! I'm a homebrewer too and the size of a 5-6 gallon bucket or carboy takes up too much space. A paintball set-up has a smaller footprint, much more reliable supply of CO2 and is cleaner. Save the sugar for making beer! :bounce:
Cool, I image you're not making many lagers in HI :) but ales ferment real quick. I used to work for MillerCoors and part of my territory was HI; been there many times. Love Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter.:biggrin:

·
Registered
963 Posts
Cool, I image you're not making many lagers in HI :) but ales ferment real quick. I used to work for MillerCoors and part of my territory was HI; been there many times. Love Maui Brewing's Coconut Porter.:biggrin:
I brew a pretty good honey porter. Yeah, we're lucky cause the water's good for brewin' & planted tanks. :bounce:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts