The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Quick question, In my 55 I just upgraded from shop lights to a dual t5ho light setup.

I did this three days ago, and now my drop checker that used to be dark green is a very light blue. SInce my plants are getting more light, does that mean they use more CO2? I didn't want to turn it up and kill all my fish, so I left it at the setting it was at with my old lights.

Thanks!

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
If a 2 bulb T5HO light has good reflectors, and is sitting within a few inches of the top of the tank, it is giving way more light than you can easily use for a planted tank. If it is a T5NO light, it gives just enough light for a low light tank.

If your DC is a very light blue color, you need to replace the fluid in it, and use a bit more pH reagent to get a good blue color before it goes into the tank. Then, you can use it to judge the amount of CO2 you have.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If a 2 bulb T5HO light has good reflectors, and is sitting within a few inches of the top of the tank, it is giving way more light than you can easily use for a planted tank. If it is a T5NO light, it gives just enough light for a low light tank.

If your DC is a very light blue color, you need to replace the fluid in it, and use a bit more pH reagent to get a good blue color before it goes into the tank. Then, you can use it to judge the amount of CO2 you have.
The reflector is not as good as AH, so by using the par chart I was guessing I am at medium. They are T5HO Sun Blaze

If the drop checker was dark green three days ago with only changing the lights overhead does that mean it's no good now that it's light blue?

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
I don't know of any way for a DC to have a light blue color except having faded pH reagent, or not enough pH reagent in the solution. Of course if you accidentally mix in some tank water with the DC solution the color could change to either a light yellow or light blue. Replacing the solution in the DC is easy enough that it is always a good idea if reading the color is difficult.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts