The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How big of a canister would be good for a 125g and would last atleast 3months?

Also what would I NEED to put co2 into the tank. Bubble counter, disffuser/reactor, hose, anything else??

Im still working on the disfusser/reactor as Im looking for a way to add it without adding too much things to my tank as it will be viewed from both sides. And I do Not want to drill a hole into the canister. Maybe a HOB for one and something else on the other side

·
Registered
1,981 Posts
Go with the biggest co2 tank you can fit in your stand, at least 10#, 20 would be better.

You NEED a co2 tank, regulator, needle valve, check valve, tubing, and diffusion method. Nothing else is mandatory, I would use a bubble counter if using an in-line reactor, and it sounds like that is what you want if being view from both sides.

·
Everyone has an opinion
1,677 Posts
How big of a canister would be good for a 125g and would last atleast 3months?

Also what would I NEED to put co2 into the tank. Bubble counter, disffuser/reactor, hose, anything else??

Im still working on the disfusser/reactor as Im looking for a way to add it without adding too much things to my tank as it will be viewed from both sides. And I do Not want to drill a hole into the canister. Maybe a HOB for one and something else on the other side
I do not understand what you mean about drilling a hole in the cannister. If you are viewing both long sides I am assuming the equipment will enter the tank at one or both the ends. Definitely do not use a HOB your CO2 may run constantly to keep up with the outgassing of a large HOB. If you are only installing equipment on one side you will need a filter powerful enough to push water the length of the tank, pretty tough assignment especially if inline equipment is installed, i.e., reactor, heater, uv, etc. IMO, a better solution is dual cannister filters, one at each end, sharing the load, i.e., one filter has the reactor the other filter has the heater. I kinda did this on a 55 gallon (link below). I would think a pair of Fluval 404s, Rens XP-3s, or Eheim 2215s could handle the load.......DC

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
With a 125 you are going to need to have two points on the tank where the CO2 rich water enters. Otherwise you will have problems. Unless as DC states you have enough water movement to push the water from one end to the other.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I agree with Rex and DC. I have a 125 that I will be putting pressurized CO2 into, and even with a Fluval FX5, the current isn't very strong by the time it gets to the far end. I have two canisters on this setup, the FC5, and an Eheim 2028 on the other end. I plan to have a manifold and run two diffusers, one on each end.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I have one canister [eheim 2026] and plan to get another canister with a heater
I also plan on adding CO2 from both ends. Just have to find the right diffusers.
You could use 2 powerheads as your diffusers.
Over all Powerheads are great (if placed strategically in your aquarium)to move water/circulation ,diffuse co2.
I use 4 of them in my 100g.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.