The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using Chuck's CO2 calculator to figure out my CO2 levels. I have recently found on Hagen.com site another formula which takes into account my temperature. What I come up with is a much higher level using Hagen's.
Which do you think is more correct?
I know, a drop checker would be best but I can't buy one until after I get moved to Kentucky in about a month.
Lights com on at 8:00am. My CO2 level at 9:30am at 45 ppm, 1:00 pm 53 ppm, and in the evening it is about 80 ppm. I know its high but all my fish seem to be just fine. No gasping, etc.
I run my lights and CO2 for 12 hours and run my air bubbles at night.
No PH adjusting going on. Just plant ferts.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
If your fish aren't showing any signs of stress, I wouldn't worry about it them.

I bought the Red Sea CO2 indicators for all tanks from Big Al's for $7.99 and I made my own KH solution. I really like these things.
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1380875/cl0/redseaco2indicator

I used Hagen's example and compared it to Chuck's CO2 calculator.

- Their example uses 25° C, a pH of 6.8 and 50 ppm KH and it gives 15.65 ppm CO2.
- Using Chuck's with the same parameters except for the temperature; it gives 13.313 ppm CO2.
- Hagen's gives 2.337 more ppm of CO2.

Using another example at 25° C, a pH of 6.6 and 71 ppm (or 4° KH)
- Hagen's says 35.145 ppm CO2
- Chuck's says 30.143 ppm CO2.
- Hagen's gives 5.002 more ppm of CO2

I don't know why there is a difference and like I said earlier, trust your fish.

Try to get a drop checker as soon as you can and don't worry about these charts and calculators.

I hope that this helps.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I usually crank it up a bit at a time until I see the fish gasping and then turn it down a bit. The first fish to gasp are a few Minos I added as fish food but I guess they were to big and didn't get eaten.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.