The Planted Tank Forum banner

CO2 bubbles on fish?

1049 7
Can the white dots be CO2 bubbles instead of Ich?

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

I have a 90gal, CO2 injected, planted community tank. I bought 3 Irian Red Rainbows 3 weeks ago. (no quarantine at the time) I noticed they had lip rot and treated with MelaFix. That took care of that issue after about a week. Doing weekly water changes, all water parameters are good.

About a week ago, I noticed what appeared to be Ich, only on my 3 Irian Reds. Figured that made sense. If they had lip rot, they were susceptible. Dosed tank with Ich-x, daily water changes. They have become more active. Eat well. But the white spots are not going away, but getting more abundant. Finally I threw together a 20 gallon quarantine take to isolate them and run salt and cure-all meds. But as soon as I transferred them over, I could no longer see any white dots. Like not a single white grain on any of them. Granted, I am using differently lights now. Crappy fluorescent instead of full spectrum LED. My wife suggested it could be the CO2, since they hang out right above the diffuser. Could that really be the cause and I have been treating a 90 gallon tank for Ich for no reason?
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Can the white dots be CO2 bubbles instead of Ich?

I apologize in advance for the lack of pictures.

I have a 90gal, CO2 injected, planted community tank. I bought 3 Irian Red Rainbows 3 weeks ago. (no quarantine at the time) I noticed they had lip rot and treated with MelaFix. That took care of that issue after about a week. Doing weekly water changes, all water parameters are good.

About a week ago, I noticed what appeared to be Ich, only on my 3 Irian Reds. Figured that made sense. If they had lip rot, they were susceptible. Dosed tank with Ich-x, daily water changes. They have become more active. Eat well. But the white spots are not going away, but getting more abundant. Finally I threw together a 20 gallon quarantine take to isolate them and run salt and cure-all meds. But as soon as I transferred them over, I could no longer see any white dots. Like not a single white grain on any of them. Granted, I am using differently lights now. Crappy fluorescent instead of full spectrum LED. My wife suggested it could be the CO2, since they hang out right above the diffuser. Could that really be the cause and I have been treating a 90 gallon tank for Ich for no reason?
The bubbles don't stick onto fish. Ich does.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
79 Posts
Red Irian Rainbowfish (Glossolepis incisus) have silver reflective small and large scale patterns, mostly mid lateral and upper body in both sexes. This may or may not show strongly depending on mood. Moving them to a quarantine tank would certainly change their mood (and "cure" them of visible spots). Is this something which is possible on your fish? The "lip rot" you mention is commonly seen in rainbows which are shipped as they bang up their mouths in shipping and during handling. This damage typically resolves in a few days in good living conditions. It is a stunning species and I hope you do well with them.

·
Registered
12,433 Posts
Many times we hear of odd or really unusual ideas for things we see about our fish but from a practical standpoint, I do not quickly go to the odd idea when there is a super normal explanation.
So while it is not possible to sort out what you are seeing, consider how odd CO2 bubbles sticking to fish would be and how common ich on new fish is and that will often lead to a better idea.
Since it is highly recommended to QT any new fish, you may simply be seeing the reason for QT!
If you look overt he time, effort and certainly expense of treating a main tank versus keeping a small tank in the closet to bring out when needed, the QT becomes almost "required".
But it does often takes several bad experiences before we get the idea!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.