The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I started running CO2 on my 150 w/sump on Monday. So far, so good but still trying to fine tune as far as bubble count and off/on at night. I inject the CO2 through a needle wheel return pump.

I am not sure I am getting quite enough CO2 into the water yet based on the drop checker. It turns a very light green during the day with a pH drop from my original 8.25 reading dropping to 7.45. I was upping the bubble count (which is already considerable) to continue bringing down the pH. Once I get to that 7.45 area my Denisonii barbs, which are low-tank swimmers, start to move vertically about halfway up the side of the tank in a school. They stay there a few seconds and then go back to swimming as they normally do. None of the other fish seem any different than they did before. I have been through this two or three times and always slow the CO2 down when I see this. None of the fish seem to be breathing hard and none of the others have moved toward the top of the tank. I have to naturally assume this is due to the CO2 as they never did that before.

My question is if it is possible for more CO2 to accumulate near the bottom of the tank, or maybe these guys are more sensitive to CO2? It seems like it would be the opposite of that, CO2 concentration more likely to be closer to the surface. I feel sure that my CO2 needs a little more push as it is certainly not close to the lime green color but it is at least somewhere in the green.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
I wonder if you need better circulation and distribution before adding more and more CO2?

I would sure go slow about turning it up when the fish are changing their behavior.

I also thought the CO2 would work its way to the surface and out gas, not accumulate at the bottom of the tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.