The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys

I know that injected gas CO2 is not so great for shrimp is excel or API co2 booster ok and will you get enough liquid carbon to keep the plants growing and healthy ?

Thanks

·
Registered
327 Posts
I put half doses of excel in my nano tank with cherry shrimp, anubias, and crypts everyday with no problems. Guess it all depends on what plants and shrimp. My tank is also a dirt tank and my plants luv it and grow great.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I used it in my CRS tank for a couple months, and there weren't any deaths, and they even berried. The only problem was that my tank is medium light, so my plants still didn't grow. Now I just have some small patches of HC in my tank. If you have a medium to high light tank, excel's not going to do much.

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
I know that injected gas CO2 is not so great for shrimp
What makes you say this?

As long as you are not overgassing your aquarium, you will be fine.

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What makes you say this?

As long as you are not overgassing your aquarium, you will be fine.
Oh really ?? interesting will they breed successfully in a co2 setup? I'm really wanting to do a nicely planted medium light setup for the CRS tank that I'm planning, im just tryin to get as much info so it's got a good chance :icon_lol:

·
ღ Miss ShrimpTastic! ஐ...
2,606 Posts
Hey guys

I know that injected gas CO2 is not so great for shrimp is excel or API co2 booster ok and will you get enough liquid carbon to keep the plants growing and healthy ?

Thanks
If I had to choose I would rather dose constant CO2 than Excel. Other ferts are fine under minimal dose, but I heard so many bad stories with shrimps and Excel.

Make sure the CO2 is consistent though so you won't have pH swings ;)

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
Oh really ?? interesting will they breed successfully in a co2 setup? I'm really wanting to do a nicely planted medium light setup for the CRS tank that I'm planning, im just tryin to get as much info so it's got a good chance :icon_lol:
I have bred RCS with no problems, and I have friends that breed CRS with no problems with CO2 dosing.

If I had to choose I would rather dose constant CO2 than Excel. Other ferts are fine under minimal dose, but I heard so many bad stories with shrimps and Excel.

Make sure the CO2 is consistent though so you won't have pH swings ;)
+1. As long as you have steady CO2 levels, then there won't be any problems. I find there are more issues when dosing Excel.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I run pressurized CO2 during lights on and I dose 1.5x the Excel dose daily along with daily EI dosing. I have tons of fire reds in my tank doing fine and breeding. Amanos as well with no issues. Other shrimp may not fair as well as neos are pretty hardy, but as others have said be consistent and don't gas your tank or overdose. Start low and work up until you see negative effects, then back off the co2, excel, etc...

·
Super Moderator
12,128 Posts
so are yall saying its better to leave the co2 on all day and night then or just during photo period
I just kept my CO2 on during the photoperiod; it makes no sense to have it running all the time.

The pH swings that are associated with injecting CO2 should not be so much of a concern, since it is generally gradual.

If you are trying to keep particular expensive/sensitive shrimp, then you could always just get a pH monitor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.