The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I can get a really good deal on a brand new Up Aqua Diffuser (this one) but the size is wrong. The 16/22mm would fit on the inflow of my Eheim 2217, not on the 12/16 of my outflow…

Would that reduce the effectiveness of the dilution? I used to feed DIY Co2 trough my inflow and had no problems…

Any idea? Fast answer would be appreciated since this is selling the item on a local forum.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
13,081 Posts
So, I can get a really good deal on a brand new Up Aqua Diffuser (this one) but the size is wrong. The 16/22mm would fit on the inflow of my Eheim 2217, not on the 12/16 of my outflow…

Would that reduce the effectiveness of the dilution? I used to feed DIY Co2 trough my inflow and had no problems…

Any idea? Fast answer would be appreciated since this is selling the item on a local forum.

Thanks!!
I've got a 2213 on put it on the inflow.. I think it killed my bacteria in the filter.. I suspect that caused a bacterial bloom in the tank. Only a temporary annoyance but it also may have caused my sword to "melt"........
Moved it to the outflow..

But 2 important things.1)CO2 addition was new and I was adjusting output so pH and amount trapped in the canister may have varied wildly but not enough to kill anything (sword aside and technically it is just starting over ;)) (yea some gets trapped I suspect) and 2)I "dribble CO2 now so no "soda pop" effects on the outflow setup
YMMV.. most have no problems w/ in
I thought Ehiems were the same on/out.. ? Why do you have different sizes?

·
Collectoritis Patient
2,322 Posts
I don't recommend it for the reasons Jeffkrol mentioned. The bacteria in your filter like O2. Adding CO2 directly into the filter upsets the bacterial balance.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
O2 and CO2 exist independently so you can have high levels of both. CO2 does lower pH and bacterial activity diminishes as pH drops. That's one of the reasons ADA only adds enough CO2 to drop their pH to 6.8, or at least that's what they say in their literature.

You'll also read of others that say the pH drop doesn't affect the bacteria since it's caused by CO2 and there's no change in the tank's KH. Which is correct I don't know. I'm easily swayed, lol.

FWIW, I have an Eheim 2076 and 2075 on my 75g and have an inline diffuser on the input of the 2075. It's affect on the bacteria I can't say although my fish and shrimp are happy and the water is clear. I can say that the canister makes a very good reactor though and there isn't all that mist blowing around the tank.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.