The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a fluval flora tank that came with a 45g co2 cart setup. I have the bubbles turned down to about 10 a minute which is lower than it suggests and wonder if the co2 will negatively impact shrimp that are arriving soon. The parameters are
Ph - 6.6
Tds - 135
Kh - 1-2
Gh - 3-4

Oddly, the tap water ph and my tanks ph are the same when I was under the impression that added co2 would lower the ph by up to a point. So far no change. Its been weeks and I figure if the co2 isn't bombing the ph than perhaps the shrimp won't mind. I'd like to know before they arrive if its a clear nono.

I will have bloody Mary and aura blues. There is also one tiny bushy nose in there now as the lone resident.

Thanks for the advice. I welcome all of it

·
Registered
12 Posts
I think my tap water is close enough that I can avoid a total R.O system. So if that is the case, can you suggest a great gh additive that I can buy? I will just tweak it a little during water changes until its where I want it. They don't arrive till Wednesday and I can have it from Amazon well before that. Is brightwell reputable? I saw their stuff available but am open to suggestions

Thanks.

Oh, and whats the verdict on co2 with shrimp? Sure? Be careful? I wouldn't? Or absolutely not? Hehe. Like I said, its a 15g and I'm only putting about 10 bubbles a minute in. It has a aqua clear on it but the water level is high enough that I don't think its gassing off much.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I keep them in two high tech tanks with good results, but I can't fertilize and water change like I would if they were fish tanks. The CO2 itself is no issue. You can drop the pH a full point every morning and back every evening and they don't mind at all.

·
Registered
3,699 Posts
Salty Shrimp is a popular brand. I have a big tub of it, GH and KH, but no longer use it since switching substrates... which also required switching minerals! Now using Aqualex. There are other brands out there. I would have to recommend sticking with a shrimp specific remineralizer, although I have heard good things of, I think, Nutrafin African Cichlid Remineralizer used for shrimp as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You're good with that. Co2 shouldn't cause any problems as long as the PH drop isn't too big. Look at a Kh-Ph-Co2 chart and make sure you aren't overdoing the Co2 and make sure that you keep the Ph in the range acceptable for your shrimp and you shouldn't have any issues at all!

Are you using a buffering substrate??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.