The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just did a homemade CO2 that i am running through the impeller of a little spare 2000l/hr pump that I had lying around. i set ti up so that the outlet and inlet of the pump are facing one another. And so that there is a cross current between outlet and inlet. That way it does not turn my tank into a whirlpool.

I redid my whole system a couple of days ago, so dont have any fish/shrimp yet.

The bottle of yeast I set up is pumping quite a bit and the impeller of the pump is turning it into a REALLY fine mist. The bubbles are so fine that once you have to get really close to even see them. Since I don't have any fish yet I obviously don't have to worry about too much CO2 (Right?), but when will the pH become too low for the plants. Don't want to turn the tank full into a tank full of Acid.

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
The easiest way in the beginning is to get a drop checker. You should be able to find them in Cape Town or you can order them online for cheap. Really helps in the beginning when you're first starting out with CO2.

How large is your tank? Is your CO2 system a standard 2 litre bottle? What recipe did you use? Is your tank heavily planted? What kind of lighting do you have? That'll help us accurately answer your questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
2 x 39watt T5 Hagen.
3 foot tank. (only filled half way). Want to introduce some plants that grow out of water later. so filled with 75l water.
first recipe was 4l water, 4 cups sugar, 1 pack yeast.

·
Registered
352 Posts
oh wow that's quite a lot of yeast. i usually do
2 liter
1 tsp b soda
1/2 tsp of yeast
if that's not enough id use another bottle, i find it easier using several bottles to monitor the ph drop a little easier

·
Registered
15 Posts
With that much yeast in a single generator it is going to burn out quickly. I used DIY CO2 on my 90G tank until I could save enough money for the injected system. And, I was using 8 generator bottles, each 2 liter bottle was filled with 2 cups sugar, 0.5 tsp yeast and 0.5 tsp baking soda. In the winter, I'd increase the yeast to 1 tsp. Each week I'd replace the yeast mix in 2 bottles to attempt to stabilize the output.

Monitor your KH and GH levels. If they drop below 4 degrees, pH can become too low and plants may be affected. Also, plant would be affected by the low mineral content.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
With that much yeast in a single generator it is going to burn out quickly. I used DIY CO2 on my 90G tank until I could save enough money for the injected system. And, I was using 8 generator bottles, each 2 liter bottle was filled with 2 cups sugar, 0.5 tsp yeast and 0.5 tsp baking soda. In the winter, I'd increase the yeast to 1 tsp. Each week I'd replace the yeast mix in 2 bottles to attempt to stabilize the output.

Monitor your KH and GH levels. If they drop below 4 degrees, pH can become too low and plants may be affected. Also, plant would be affected by the low mineral content.

Wow, 8 bottles for a 90g. That must be a lot of work.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
Wow, 8 bottles for a 90g. That must be a lot of work.....
Got very old after a year. I am very grateful for my current set up. It's been 5 months and with the timers and CO2 system, all I do is feed the fish and dose my dry ferts. The easiest tank to care for of my 7 aquariums.

sugar is kinda expensive...

just buy co2, its not that expensive if you think about everything else you buy for your aquarium
Sugar is cheap in bulk; so is yeast. I spent as little as $1 per week on supplies; which allowed me to save for the injected system.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
oh wow that's quite a lot of yeast. i usually do
2 liter
1 tsp b soda
1/2 tsp of yeast
if that's not enough id use another bottle, i find it easier using several bottles to monitor the ph drop a little easier
The amount of yeast doesn't matter. Just means it will be at "full speed" quicker. Yeast reproduce and that "cake" on the bottom at the end of a week is ALL yeast

·
Super Moderator
17,131 Posts
sugar is kinda expensive...

just buy co2, its not that expensive if you think about everything else you buy for your aquarium
Many people can't necessarily afford to go full-tilt with a pressurized CO2 system in the beginning. They - like myself - used/use DIY to save up the cash to buy a $100-$200 CO2 system.

You can often get a 30lb bag of generic sugar at your local mega mart for under $20. Five packets of champagne yeast is about $4. I had a regulator die on me last year and had to use DIY for about four months. Used champagne yeast and got 5-6 weeks per 2L bottle (ran 12 of them). It was a nightmare but wasn't difficult or expensive.

Currently have DIY on several 2.5gal and 5.5gal tanks and get easily 9-10 weeks per bottle.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
Appreciate the replies. But I sorta need a number to use as a min pH. if pH drops too low can I just add Bicarbonate of soda?
No, you don't. You don't need to worry about pH at ALL when dealing with co2. I don't even check it. At all. Because KH and GH will not change, there is NO need to mess with pH.

If you start adding sodium bicarb you are going to start messing with KH and GH. THat is when you will start killing fish.

Again, just forget about pH. Seriously, it isn't as important as we thought it was 25 years ago. KH, GH and TDS matter, and co2 do not change them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
not even if it starts running toward pH=5? The thing is that we have quite soft water here. And bear in mind that I currently have no fish... Want to give the plants a head start...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.