The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I know this is pretty simple and has probablt already been discussed, but do you think about putting some tubing connected to a small air line valve controling the amount of air passed through a power head allow me to put more co2 into my tank without degassing much of the co2?

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I'm not too sure what you are asking; are you considering running an air line (connected to an air pump) and putting the output through a power head, while injecting CO2 through another tube?

I am not sure how this would help you put more CO2 into your tank; I don't want to sound trite, but if you want to put more CO2 into your tank, couldn't you just increase your bubble count?

Edit: 888th post!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
if the inline have pure CO2 going through it, yes, the powerhead propeller will help break up the CO2 bubbles where it will diffuse into the water column. The term is misting. it's best if the powerhead is low in the tank so the micro-bubbles stay in the water column longer.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes. boink is correct I am just wanting to put morw oxygen into the tank so that my fish wont be gsping for air when i start to increase the co2 levels. Yes i can increase the co2 levels by increasing the bubble rate but it would kill my fish bc i am right on the edge of maximum co2 without the fish dying, but i would like to be able to increase the co2 more and i was hoping i could do this by increasing o2. I know i could just use surface agitation, but since i lose a lot of water to evaporation i would have to constantly move the spray bar up or down to avoid to much agitation and degasing my co2. Also i wouldnt have to hook the airline up to a pump just to a gang valve and the powerhead would creat enough pressure to pull o2 directly from the room

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
How much CO2 are you injecting into your tank? Do you have a drop checker?

bc i am right on the edge of maximum co2 without the fish dying
This would imply that you have more than 30 ppm; you don't really need more than 30 ppm of CO2 for plants to do well.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes i do have a drop checker and I do have over 30ppm CO2 and yes my plants are growing very well, but in my experience the more CO2 you can put in a tank the better. The more co2 you can keep in your tank the harder it is for certain types of alage to get a foot hold in your tank. When you read something Tom Barr rights he is always talking about CO2.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
But it helps with keeping algae to a minimum
I does when used in conjunction with a good lighting pattern/intensity and a solid fertilization regime.

CO2 alone, no matter how high the concentration will not prevent algae.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I don't see any reason to keep CO2 over 30 ppm; it seems like a waste of gas to me.

As Momotaro mentioned, Tom Barr may talk about CO2 being very important, etc, but it is in the context of a balanced tank (i.e. in terms of lighting pattern/intensity as well as a solid fertilization regime).

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
you can do a fishless tank. Inject all the CO2 you want.

and I'm guessing you have 4+wpg of light for 10 hours or so.
And back to your original question, O2 will reach a saturation at a certain temperature, so you can't add more O2 through aeration with atmospheric air, maybe pure O2.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes i was thinking about that i posted a thread prolly a week ago but i really didnt get much feed back from it. I was looking for some pros and cons. Mainly cons i know most of the pros. I do have about 4wpg on my 55 of PC and 2.5 watts of t5ho on my 20 gallon. I was wanting to add the O2 to the 20 gallon bc i am having a little algae problem and i was wanting to bump up co2. Do you have any idea what that temp would be my tanks run at about 78 degrees. Also can temp effect how much and the rate of co2 diffused into the water, bc my temps are a little higher than i usually keep them and i am having to use a lot more bubbles per second to get my dc to turn yellow than i use to have to.

·
Super Moderator
12,008 Posts
I do have about 4wpg on my 55 of PC and 2.5 watts of t5ho on my 20 gallon. I was wanting to add the O2 to the 20 gallon bc i am having a little algae problem and i was wanting to bump up co2.
That's quite a bit of light, especially over the 20g. Don't forget that T5HO bulbs are very efficient. Also, you have to remember that it is not a lack of oxygen in the water that causes problems for fish; it is the high levels of CO2. Thus, even if you saturate the water with O2, if the CO2 levels are too high, they will prevent respiration from occurring anyway.

CO2 does not displace O2.

Do you have any idea what that temp would be my tanks run at about 78 degrees.
Not too sure what you are asking/stating here.

Also can temp effect how much and the rate of co2 diffused into the water, bc my temps are a little higher than i usually keep them and i am having to use a lot more bubbles per second to get my dc to turn yellow than i use to have to.
Yes, temperature can have an effect on the amount of gas that can be dissolved into a liquid, but not the rate.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts