The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am having issues with my CO2 and hoping someone can provide some insight. I am at a moderatly planted tank with pressurized co2.....however, my kh out of the tap is 10ppm which offers me little to no buffering....I have decided to add some crushed coral to a nylon baggie, as adding baking soda, has not helped to raise my kh effectively.....the problem is I have no way of telling where my CO2 is at, since my drop checker and CO2 chart is skewed since I am altering the KH......anyone have any idea how I can accuratly measure my co2......I adding a whole bunch of new plants and I have noticed my plants arent pearling as they once did (wondering if I need to up the CO2). I am currently getting about 2-3 bubbles per second......my other optin is to remove the crushed coral....but I fear that adding that much CO2 will bottom out my pH....hopefully someone has some ideas!

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are making your own reference solution out of RO or distilled water your drop checker will be as (in)accurate as it has always been. You shouldn't be using tank water for your drop checker anyway.

I am not sure if there is a way to accurately measure the CO2, but does it really matter what ppm level the CO2 is at? Use your drop checker as a ball park reference, then keep turning up the CO2 up a little at a time until your fish/inverts start acting strange, gasping etc., then dial back the CO2 a little. That is the practical max CO2 level for your tank. Does it matter whether this is 30ppm CO2, 25ppm, 45ppm? You get the point I hope.

I am having issues with my CO2 and hoping someone can provide some insight. I am at a moderatly planted tank with pressurized co2.....however, my kh out of the tap is 10ppm which offers me little to no buffering....I have decided to add some crushed coral to a nylon baggie, as adding baking soda, has not helped to raise my kh effectively.....the problem is I have no way of telling where my CO2 is at, since my drop checker and CO2 chart is skewed since I am altering the KH......anyone have any idea how I can accuratly measure my co2......I adding a whole bunch of new plants and I have noticed my plants arent pearling as they once did (wondering if I need to up the CO2). I am currently getting about 2-3 bubbles per second......my other optin is to remove the crushed coral....but I fear that adding that much CO2 will bottom out my pH....hopefully someone has some ideas!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you are making your own reference solution out of RO or distilled water your drop checker will be as (in)accurate as it has always been. You shouldn't be using tank water for your drop checker anyway.

I am not sure if there is a way to accurately measure the CO2, but does it really matter what ppm level the CO2 is at? Use your drop checker as a ball park reference, then keep turning up the CO2 up a little at a time until your fish/inverts start acting strange, gasping etc., then dial back the CO2 a little. That is the practical max CO2 level for your tank. Does it matter whether this is 30ppm CO2, 25ppm, 45ppm? You get the point I hope.
The drop checker I am using just requires me to add solution (1ml) then stick it to the side of the tank....no need for using RO water or tank water....not sure how this works....I guess the other part of my question is, do I keep the crushed coral to give me some buffering capactity...or toss it?

·
Registered
169 Posts
The drop checker I am using just requires me to add solution (1ml) then stick it to the side of the tank....no need for using RO water or tank water....not sure how this works....I guess the other part of my question is, do I keep the crushed coral to give me some buffering capactity...or toss it?
what kind of drop checker is that? is the solution your adding coloured? I have never heard of a drop checker that doesn't use a indicator+solution to measure the amount of co2 in your water.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Some one else with the same idea!

as far as i know, according to the instructions, add 1 ml of this solution and attach to side of the aquarium
Many drop checkers require you add 1 ml of 4 deg kH water to the checker then add a drop of the indicator.
I alway thought that they should make the 1 drop per ml of 4 deg KH solution. Then you can add the 1 ml to your drop checker and not have to make the 4 deg water.

I don't know for sure but it sounds like this is what you are doing.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I guess from your posts that your drop checker is OK. If this is true then it doesn't matter what the KH of your tank water is. "Slowly" increase your CO2 until the drop checker is green. It is important that you do this slowly as it takes a few hours for the DC to reach the equilibrium color for any level of CO2. I don't recommend going lighter than green in your DC but a lot of people do but be careful doing this as you can wipe out your animal populations.
If your DC is green don't bother with pH or KH unless you have a special need to be at a specific pH or KH (i.e. a plant or fish requirement).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.