The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are anyone continuously dosing excel daily + co2 just to prevent any algae outbreaks? I have a low tech 20g with daily excel dosage, about 4ml. Not even adding the initial dosage. That tank has no algae. The lighting is medium. With my high tech tank and with CO2 level close to gassing my fish and EI dosing (pretty heavy on the macros), I am getting BBA on the substrate and on my driftwood. Plants that aren't growing as fast tend to get GSA and some minor BBA, by the tips. The situation gets a bit precious whenever I do a hard trim on my DHG carpet. The trimmed parts would attract BBA because they aren't growing. In order to remove them, I have to wait until the DHG to regrow first and do another hard trim. Then again, another BBA cycling again with the trimmed parts getting BBA.

My high tech tank is a 40B and daily excel dosage can get expensive. My tank lighting is medium high. I can always reduce the light intensity but I have plants there I want them to get red (L repens and Alternanthera reineckii).

·
Registered
6,820 Posts
Are anyone continuously dosing excel daily + co2 just to prevent any algae outbreaks? I have a low tech 20g with daily excel dosage, about 4ml. Not even adding the initial dosage. That tank has no algae. The lighting is medium. With my high tech tank and with CO2 level close to gassing my fish and EI dosing (pretty heavy on the macros), I am getting BBA on the substrate and on my driftwood. Plants that aren't growing as fast tend to get GSA and some minor BBA, by the tips. The situation gets a bit precious whenever I do a hard trim on my DHG carpet. The trimmed parts would attract BBA because they aren't growing. In order to remove them, I have to wait until the DHG to regrow first and do another hard trim. Then again, another BBA cycling again with the trimmed parts getting BBA.

My high tech tank is a 40B and daily excel dosage can get expensive. My tank lighting is medium high. I can always reduce the light intensity but I have plants there I want them to get red (L repens and Alternanthera reineckii).
Hi tetra73,

I dose Excel / glutaraldehyde daily along with CO2 in all of my tanks. I find that I have no hair type algae problems however it doesn't effect BBA, GSA, GDA, or BGA. I don't typically have BBA unless I am heavily dosing iron. I believe that outbreaks of GSA and GDA are a result of excessive light.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
I've heard an awefull lot of them on here talking about increasing the current to help this out. My Alternanthera reineckii, and I have virtually the same set up, one med
level light one at high level but in 10g tanks and no CO2. Just Excel in the high level tank. It does well in the high level tank but not in my med level(yet). They were just planted almost a month ago. On the other hand there is Ludwigia in the high level tank but it has yet to reach the top so it's leaves are still green. I've heard they can be finiky.
One thing that may help also is to split the light timing into two sections. One in the A.M. and the other at least starting two hrs later. Algae doesn't store energy like regular plants do so breaking up their available light breaks their growth cycle.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi tetra73,

I dose Excel / glutaraldehyde daily along with CO2 in all of my tanks. I find that I have no hair type algae problems however it doesn't effect BBA, GSA, GDA, or BGA. I don't typically have BBA unless I am heavily dosing iron. I believe that outbreaks of GSA and GDA are a result of excessive light.

Ok, I am diffusing my light a bit more see if the situation would improve. I am tempted to try out the H2o2 treatment since I have 5 ottos, and 3 cory cats. Judging from this thread, http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=203684 The chance for them to survive the treatment is 50/50. :) Is hard to net them out from the tank....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.