The Planted Tank Forum banner

Co2 and airstone-will they cancel eachother out?

1672 Views 8 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  btimmer92
I have been running Co2 in my tank, but i think it is too much for my fish. Or they just need a little extra O2. If I have the Co2 running, and an airstone, will they cancel eachother out? As in, will the airstone keep the dissolved Co2 level down too low for my plants to use?
Thank you!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
2,586 Posts
If your fish don't like it then you have enough. As long as the plants are growing and you are not having algae issues then all is good. Have your filter return disrupt the water surface and you will be able to add more CO2 if you like.

I couldn't get my drop checker to lime green with out running at an almost constant flow with the CO2. My plants grow great and I get light pearling after about 2 hours with the CO2 on and my checker barely gets to medium green.

· Registered
2,586 Posts
Yes it gets old and your fish may splash tank water in the checker that can affect the fluid.

What is your dose regimen? If you aren't dosing enough ferts you will keep fighting algae.

Running a bubbler or disturbing the surface will get more O2 into the water. Your CO2 usage will go up a little.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.