The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 15 lb co2 tank and I'm trying to fig out what I will need to make this my fill up tank for a smaller paintball co2 canister.
Does anybody else do this? If so what do I need or what do you use to get the co2 from the big tank to smaller ones? or is there a way to use the 15 lb and use that as main tank for co2? How do I lower the pressure? I know nothing about this topic but know I have the tank and want to utilize it.
Sorry I'm a newbie when it comes to plants and co2
Thank you

·
Registered
296 Posts
I used to do it, it's a scary process. You can but a refill adapter kit on fleabay. Most paintball stores will fill pb tanks for about 3-4 bucks. The problem with filling your own(correct me if I am wrong) your big tank has to have a higher pressure than the tank you are filing. I think a 15lb tank will run the same psi as the pb tank.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'd just get a regulator for your 15 lb tank. I use a regulator on a 20# tank for my setup.
With the regulator that lowers the pressure so it will be safe to use the 15 lb tank itself for the aquarium?

And also not have to worry about filling smaller canisters?

Thanks for your help....

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have a proper regulator it doesn't matter how big a tank you use -- common rule of thumb is use as big a tank as you can afford and hide! :smile:

By the same token, without a regulator, no pressurized CO2 system is completely safe from popping its fittings, however small it might be.

A tank with liquid CO2 in it is at a pressure of about 800 PSI. Even a piddlin' nine ounces of 800 PSI can ruin your whole day if it gets loose and runs amuck in your living room.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sweet thank you! Awesome I like this idea so much better than trying to transfer co2 into smaller canisters.

Can I find these regulators at hd or only online? Who else sells them hopefully local place and cheap of course lol

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
No, home depot does not sell them... Looks like you need to do a little research. You can find them in the SnS and power seller section here, from sumoregulator.com, greenleafaquariums.com, customco2, etc.

You need a regulator and needle valve, at minimum. A solenoid is helpful to be able to turn it off at night on a timer. Then you need a reactor or diffuser.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Something to note here, try to resist the urge to go with the cheapest parts you can find -- in the end, cheap gets very expensive.

That doesn't mean you have to sell the farm to buy the best of the best, just look at any "deals" you find to make sure that they really are bargains, and not just low-grade equipment that you'll be dissatisfied with, and end up replacing eventually for the combined price of the cheap and expensive parts. :smile:

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
K thank u for getting me started and moving in the right direction. U are right have lots of research to do. How can you tell? Lol hahaha I fig that's why we are all here some to ask dumb questions and others to hopefully answer the dumb questions. Lol thanks again...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.