The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we'll last night i learned that how you add your Co2 to your tank can vary drastically, from C02 levels from less than perfect, to so much you wake up to a tank full of dead shrimp.

I have been using a chop stick diffuser for the last month or so since my glass broke, its been working pretty good.

I had been doing some reading and decided to have that go straight into the intake of my canister so it could diffuse 100% thru my canister.

my drop checker was a light green but just not enough yellowishness for my liking on the stick in the corner soda water looking way of diffusing.

stuck it in the intake and let it do its thing, no bubbles in the water so i knew it was all being diffused.....well it diffused to good.

im using diy co2 and this bottle had been running for almost 2 weeks now, so i didnt think it would be pumping co2 to hard....

So i woke up today to find my drop checker completely yellow, a aquarium floor covered in dead shrimp and all my fish gasping so hard their poor gills were gonna fall off.

Now, im running an airstone full blast, and off to buy more shrimp here later.

So, if there was any confusion vs diffused thru bubbles in the tank, and reactor/canister diffusion. i can tell you reactor>diffuser by far.

Just gotta make sure you can adjust the Co2 input because you need far less with a reactor/canister.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
You can run an air stone at night (when the lights are off) to add O2 when the plants aren't using CO2.

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
i had done this for a while when i would add new bottles. but i found running the o2 at night made my plants grow real leggy for some reason, along with an algae explosion.
That sure is odd. It may be something different. Too much red light can make plants grow leggy. Some sort of imbalance causes algae.

Plants and critters use O2 24/7, but plants only use CO2 during photosynthesis.

CO2 levels can build up when running 24/7 and O2 levels can decrease during the time when the lights are off.

You haven't tried running an air stone when the lights are off and your CO2 through your canister, have you?.

Two of my aquariums have air stones come on when the CO2 turns off. I'm not having any problems by doing this.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts