The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have around 40 harlequin rasboras and a dozen lemon tetras in my 90G community, and they love to school together. It's so much fun to watch. I posted to see who else has different species that school together and what they are.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
524 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So harlequins don't care who hangs with them it seems. Lemons, flame, xray all have similar body shapes as harlequins, maybe that plays into it.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
782 Posts
I have 30 rummynoses and approx 25 blue emperor "kerri" tetras that seem to enjoy schooling together. They almost seem to be racing each other. Some times my group of 16 golden pencilfish will join the school when the male golden pencilfish are not busy sparing.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Hi

My rummynose keep to themselves--and generally they're a lot bigger than the cardinals and much more active...

I have a lone neon tetra who was sold to me by mistake at the fish store. He schools with the cardinals and they let him, but he always looks self-conscious and not quite "tuned in" to their hive mentality. Like, he's always drag-as*ing on the back of their school of lifting off from its side, breaking its symmetry. Poor guy. I've tried to introduce more neons for him, but I can only get juvinle specimens, which are so small that the angelfish gradually pick them off...

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have 16 Glowlight Tetras that school with 10 Rummynose Tetras, and they seem to get along well. I read somewhere that most species of tetras will school together.

·
Registered
333 Posts
A lot of single fish that like to be in groups will school with other kinds of fish. I once had a clown loach that would school with my Australian Rainbowfish. He looked funny following them around the tank. I also received a couple of Treadfin Rainbowfish from a friend, and they schooled with the Australian Rainbowfish too.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Because the OP was regarding tetras (and rasboras...)I forgot to mention in my initial post my experiences with Corydoras Catfish. I have found that almost all Corys will school together; right now I have a group of Bronze Corys, Schwartz's Corys and Panda Cories that all school together. I think this is really cool, because I know that they prefer to be kept in groups and this lets me add some nice variety to my tank while still allowing them the social behavior that makes them neat fish to keep.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Our dwarf neon rainbows and our Buenos Aires tetras school together and in our other tank our black neon tetras and our pygmy cories school together too. The pygmies love being up in the water column especially after water changes :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.