The Planted Tank Forum banner

Clumsy shrimp? Or is something wrong?

1694 8
I bought some yellow shrimp (neos) from some people at my local fish club about three months ago, and they have been growing well. Over the last month and a half or so, the female shrimp have become berried on several occasions, but they keep dropping their eggs. One day they will be full of eggs, and over the next few days they will have less and less until all of the eggs are gone. I am positive that the eggs have not reached maturity this fast (no eyes). I know it can be normal for a young mother to drop her eggs the first time she gets berried, but it seems unusual that every single female has dropped her eggs, and I think that the same females are dropping them over and over again. Earlier this week there were two berried females, and on Thursday there were none. Yesterday one got berried with a full set of eggs, and today she has only about a third of the eggs remaining.

Is there something that could be causing the females to all drop their eggs?

They are housed with amano shrimp (who have no problem staying berried), 2 spixi snails, and some chili rasboras. I have spent hours observing the tank and I have never seen anyone harassing the yellows, but it could be possible.

Tank stats with API test kit
ammonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0 (heavily planted)
pH 6.8
KH 2
GH 7
copper 0

So, could there be something wrong with the water although they all look healthy, or are these young mothers just extremely clumsy?
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
If they're new to it, it may just be a learning curve for them. Also I find yellows to be the most sensitive neos to breed compared to others. pH also may be a bit low, not that it shoudl matter. Neos should be able to handle sub 7 no problem, but it might depend on your source's water. Maybe they're adapted to really alkaline waters.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Temperature is 72 degrees. The highs in my area have been in the mid-sixties, so not very hot. I do top-offs with RO water every few days, and I do a 10% water change each week. I never do large water changes.

An amano who became berried 4 days ago just dropped her eggs. She's successfully held dozens of clutches before.

This is getting me worried that there could be something making them drop the eggs. Nothing in the tank has changed recently though.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
7,690 Posts
What's your tds? Have you seen molts lately? How is your water being mineralized?

Sometimes purchasing berried shrimp don't work out for the same reason because they would drop their eggs after acclimation to their new home.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm surprised noone has mentioned the fact that you have fish in the tank. It's very, very stressful for shrimp. Also, your shrimplets have little to no chance of survival. It's possible that your mamas are hatching out their shrimplets and then the rasboras have a nice, tasty treat...

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
TDS is 180, and the RO water is reminiralized with Mosura mineral plus. These were purchased as juvies several months ago and have dropped several batches of eggs in a row.

It's not possible for the eggs to hatch in less than a week, so the rasboras cannot be eating the hatched shrimplets. My question is not about the survival of fry, but about the health of adults.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.