The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been fighting this algae for a few weeks.

As you can see its small, brownish and clumpy. I wipe it off and within an hour its re-establishing itself. Its starting to coat a few other things in the tank, but for now its mostly my ludwigia here.
Specs:
30 gallon
HOB filter
Lightly planted with 8 hour photo period
2 T5HO 39W
Dose 5ml Excel daily
Feed once a day
6 black skirt tetra, 6 cardinal tetra, 1 small female cichlid, peppered cory, 3 nerite snails
Flora max substrate. all driftwood and aquascape rocks were bleached 3 hours and rinsed thoroughly before introduction

Ive had diatoms in a different tank. I dont think this is that because its not coating everything in the tank. Im currently 12 days into cycling the tank. Doing 15% daily water changes. Dont know levels in the tank since i cant afford a testing kit for a few weeks. I have read that spot treating with Hydrogen peroxide can help for some algae. However if I can positively identify this species I can choose a specific treatment. Im willing to get purigen, shrimp, or SAE. But obviously want to hold off on spending money if i can help it
Thanks for looking

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I pulled the ludwigia from the tank and put them in a 3% bleach solution for 2 minites. Cleaned some hardscape and tank glass. Did a 20% water change them dosed excel. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
963 Posts
Looks more like debris of some kind to me. How is your flow? I had this on my ludwigia a long time ago when i also used a HOB and had pretty bad flow in the tank. The flow should blow it off and the filter should pick it up.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It very well could be debris. I didnt wash my substrate before putting it in. Its floramax. I also noticed my flow on that end of the tank is not good. I was considering getting a micro pump or small powerhead, something to increase the flow on that side. The HOB is an aqueon. It came with the tank and i couldnt find serial numbers or brands to determine the size. The one time i tested the water all the parameters were fine.

Im open to any suggestions for affordable ways to increase flow.

Thanks guys

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Might not work as well with a "L" type of tank as it would with a taller tank like
a 29 or 55 cause their shape helps this quite a bit but placing the filter on an end instead of in the back does cause a circular current that usually reaches all aria's of the tank. That scheme is greatly enhansed by an air bubbler at the opposit end
against the end wall. Don't need to be wide open either. Adjust by using a two way gang valve/w the unused spigot left slightly open.
A "Hydor" pump may be use instead of air bubbles at the other end.
BTW: It looks exactly like the dust from my Flourite sub.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Just use something to gently tap the plants to knock of the dusty stuff so the filter can pick it up. I get that after re-arranging plants in my tank. I keep a wooden dowel by the tank for that purpose. LOL

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.