The Planted Tank Forum banner

Clown's Twin 10 Gallon Caridina Shrimp Tanks

4698 Views 23 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  clownplanted
So I just picked up a couple 10 gallon tanks from Petco. I will be starting a new project for these tanks. Both of these tanks will have Caridina shrimp. One will be a cull tank for my CRS that are breeding like crazy in my 20 gallon tank. Tank journal for that one can be found in my sig. The second one will be for Blue Bolts(Caridina cf Cantonesis)(Blue King Kongs). Each tank will have the same exact paramaters. I will be using Controsoil for both tanks to keep the PH where it needs to be. I will be remineralizing RO water with Salty Shrimp GH+. I already have the lights and filters. For the lights I have a Finnex stingray and for the other a Beamswork DA FSPEC. I will be dimming the FSPEC as these will be low tech and full light with the FSPEC is bound to bring too much algae. This has worked well on my 20 gallon CRS tank. The Stingray is already low enough that it should not cause issues. For the plants they will be low light low demanding plants that include Mosses, Ferns, and Buce's. For the filters I already have two AquaClear HOB's. One is a 50 and one a 70. They are fine as I can slow down the flow of them if need be. I was already using the 70 on my 20 gallon before I got the Fluval 206 for that. I will be using sponge guards for the intake's. The good thing about this project is I already have everything I need except for the Controsoil which I will be getting soon. So all I have now is a pic of the two tanks as nothing is setup yet. Once I get the Controsoil I will begin to cycle the tanks which should go pretty fast. I will use some media from my existing cycled tanks which will greatly speed up the process.

I cannot wait to get this going as it will help me keep my high grade CRS in my main 20 gallon and also will allow me to get some Blue Bolts which I have wanted for a long time.

Reactions: StevieD and Aqua99
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

· Registered
47 Posts
beautiful shrimp man!
I love their color intensity, I put my crs in 12 days ago, but they didn't show the intense coloration yours do.
They did color up a lot over the past few days, but i think yours will eventually look far better ;P
I might have to do a lot of selective breeding if they every do breed, do you perhaps know how long it can take until they start breeding?
anyways, keep us posted (I'm very interested in shrimp tanks all of a sudden, they are just do darn fun to look at XD)!

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
beautiful shrimp man!
I love their color intensity, I put my crs in 12 days ago, but they didn't show the intense coloration yours do.
They did color up a lot over the past few days, but i think yours will eventually look far better ;P
I might have to do a lot of selective breeding if they every do breed, do you perhaps know how long it can take until they start breeding?
anyways, keep us posted (I'm very interested in shrimp tanks all of a sudden, they are just do darn fun to look at XD)!
Yeah they take a few days from when you first get them to color up really well. Its ok this is completely normal they are stressed and once they settle in and feel more comfortable you can tell with their colors. You will most likely not see any breeding or berried females for about 2 months. That is how long it took before I got my first berried. But once my first one got berried the other females followed suit it seems as I had a total of 5 berried in a matter of another 2 weeks. So just have patience. Let them adjust and try not to change too many things. Just do a good 25% wc each week or two and ensure the tds is in range and nitrates below 10ppm or so. Also ensure the temp is below 75. Do this and I promise you will have tons of babies running around before you know it.

I also got hooked on having shrimp tanks as I now have three shrimp tanks to my one co2/planted/fish tank.

· Registered
2,325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Ok so after a long while I have an update. After a very very long journey for the Pure Red Line they have arrived and are doing well. You can read about their amazing journey here. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...rates/1206018-prl-survivors-true-miracle.html

These PRL all have amazing colors and sorry but I have very poor pic taking skills. I like this shot though I call it "The Formation". It reminds me back in the day in the Army having to line up in formation. All 5 of them actually were all perfectly lined up but by the time I noticed and got my phone out to take a pic he had moved up and out a little. Still very cool how all 4 are lined up like that. Waiting for orders or something LMAO. Going to call these guys true soldiers though because I cannot believe they survived the long journey they did. So far all 15 of them are still alive and doing very well. I really wish I could get some good pics to show you how amazing the colors are. They are all SS-SSS grades(mostly SSS)

So I did some changes as far as the filters go. The two AQ HOB's I had (AQ50 and AQ70) were much too strong even on their lowest setting. So strong if the water level even dropped 1/2" lower it would start moving the substrate in front creating a wave. I know there is not that many options for canister filters for these small of tanks but the SunSun is one that works. I got two SunSun 603B's. I really like these especially the fact they come with a spray bar. I like the spray bars so much I ended up buying a spray bar kit for my 20 gallon tank that has all of my CRS in it(never had a spray bar before). It ripples the top just the right amount for good flow and extra o2 but does not disturb the substrate like the HOB's did.

They right tank that the new arrivals are in

And some CRS in the left 10 gallon tank

21 - 24 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.