The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so i noticed my water was getting cloudy, so I did a 40% WC when that didn't help the next day I cleaned my fluval 206 out and replaced the old used up carbon bag with a fluval clearmax bag. When I hooked the filter back up it blew out a bunch of chunks of beefheart, that apparently was stuck in a hose...now 24 hours after that the water is just as cloudy...is it a bacteria bloom? So e help with a diagnosis and possible treatments would be much appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
112 Posts
Do you have a prefilter sponge at all? The beef heart must be getting stuck somewhere inside of your filter since it's not in an obvious place allowing for a bacterial bloom to happen. You may have rotting beef heart stuck somewhere inside of your filter media since you did say that it blew out chunks just when you changed the carbon bag (I'm assuming from the bottom up it's the filter sponge, carbon bag, etc.).

·
Registered
627 Posts
Repeated water changes will drop both the amount of bacteria and the food available for them. It won't speed up the process just reduce the symptoms.

You may want to put some of the water into a white dish/cup. If its a green color you could be facing a greenwater outbreak.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Repeated water changes will drop both the amount of bacteria and the food available for them. It won't speed up the process just reduce the symptoms.

You may want to put some of the water into a white dish/cup. If its a green color you could be facing a greenwater outbreak.

It's not green, just hazy looking . Is this going to effect my fish? I had a columnar is outbreak once and I lost a barb and had to treat my the tank with triple sulfa and that killed all my BB, I definitely don't want to have to do that again. There are probably no meds that will kill the bloom and not my BB huh. I have some bacterial supplements like instant cycle stuff, would adding that help fight the bad bacteria (probably not I'm sure, but I figured it was worth asking). I also have a few doses of triple sulfa left, but as I said before, I think that will probably kill all the bacteria, good and bad, right?.. It just suck looking into a foggy tank, and I feel like it can't be healthy for the little guys either :/

Oh yeah and I forgot, I am assuming they are fine, but it won't affect my plants will it?

Also how much of an effect will lowering the temperature from 79-80 degrees down to 72 degrees have?.. I have heard that lowering the temp will inhibit the bacterial ability to multiply

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Still no change :/, I have done a 25% and another 50% water change and I am due for another, I am going to go 50% again...is it normal for a bloom to last This long? I feel like a week and half or 2 weeks with no improvement is a long time? How long does it normally take for one to run it's course? Also will it just clear up overnight one day? Kind if like it clouded up.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Have you tested your parameters? I'd like to see them.

Alsooooo. I have a new tank that I just cycled. Not sure how large your tank is but when I added all my junk into the tank it clouded up for a few days then clears up. When I added some driftwood into my tank it clouded up again. I assumed this was because I didn't boil/disinfect the wood first. A white film started to encase the wood. I did some research and found it was a normal occurrence. I let the wood cycle for a few days then took it out, rinsed it, and overnight my tank cleared up. I have noticed that after I do small water changes (I do about a gallon a day) it clouds up.

I assume you have cleaned your gravel? Beef heart sounds intense (what in the world are you feeding?!) but I would do another deep clean of your filter. Also, my tank is ideally supposed to run at about 78 but it's been so hot in SoCal that my room temperature is at 82 degrees! I literally added ice into my tank to cool it down but I would definitely suggest lowering your temp a bit while you fight the algae bloom.

Make sure you clean the glass too. Hope it clears up soon!! :/

·
Registered
605 Posts
Generally the bacteria that decompose organic waste aren't pathogens, but they can suck up oxygen. Cut back on your feeding, make sure you have a prefilter, and keep that water moving.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Generally the bacteria that decompose organic waste aren't pathogens, but they can suck up oxygen. Cut back on your feeding, make sure you have a prefilter, and keep that water moving.
thats exactly what my thoughts have been...I added a prefilter in...and check everyday to make sure my flow is where it should be. And I have cut my feeding Waaay back, I got some ghost shrimp to fill in for the Beefheart in the meantime...I'll make the Bicher's lazy butt catch his food lol

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Love bichirs. How big is he? The good news is that he doesn't need oxygen in the water column because he has lungs.

He's like 5.5" but he was only 2.5"-3" a few months ago when I got him...gotta love that beefheart that's 10% pure protein...and yeah, they can live through a lot because of that prehistoric version of a labyrinth organ

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

Update...it has slowly but surely taken on a green tint, what does this mean....I'm confoundilatified(trying it on to see how it fits).

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It hasn't gotten any better...my plants are growing at unprecedented rates, even though in the last 3-4 days I have completely cut off my liquid fert dosing, didn't know if the compounds in the ferts would feed the bacteria? I just did a 60-70% water change 36 hours ago, and plan to do another this evening, depending on the feedback if any I get on here in the next 12 hours. PLEASE HELP!!! :help:

·
Registered
627 Posts
Greenwater algae outbreak is what you have not a bacterial bloom.

There are many remedies for this so you'll want to do some searching. My favorite is adding in some barley straw.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.