The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water in my tank has been cloudy for the past few weeks, and I've tried everything I can think of to fix it. It will stay clear for several hours after a large water change, but it always clouds up again. It's a 10 gallon tank. Initially, I had 39W of light over it (no reflector, just a white board); that has been reduced to 26W for 9hrs/day (no effect). At first, I stopped fertilizing, thinking that might be the cause (no effect). I've now resumed dosing (seachem N,P,K, Excel, Flourish comprehensive), and that hasn't helped either as far as I can tell. Currently I have a pretty heavy overdose of Excel in there; I doubt it will fix the problem, but I figured it's worth a try. The tank is heavily planted with hygro sunset, rotala green, dwarf hair grass, and apongeton crispus. Most days, the water has a white tinge to it, although a few days it has looked green.

The problem started when I sold my amazon sword, which required uprooting much of the substrate (sand), which stirred up a lot of the peat moss underneath it. I've been trying to get the peat moss out of there with a turkey baster, but it's impossible to get it all. Is the peat moss the cause, perhaps rotting and causing problems?

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
First, I would take some tank water and put it in a clean white container, to make sure it's either white or green.
If it's White, It's most likely a bacterial bloom. IMO stop doing water changes and it'll clear in a couple days. Light & ferts won't make a difference.
If it's green, It's Green water, Diatom or UV have worked for me in the past. Water changes will help the Green water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.