The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A combination of messy mistakes has made the water in my 10g completely cloudy. Problem is I can't seem to clear it. Here's what I've done:
- daily 50-80% water changes
- multiple deep gravel vacuums
- temporarily put in a more powerful filter than is typically in that tank
- dredged the water with a net to grab the biggest particulates (it works but it's s...l...o...w)
- used a fine mesh to "sift" the water
- let it sit a couple of days to settle

It's definitely better, but it's still bad. The plants were either destroyed or removed due to over a thousand plant-eating apple snails being hatched in there (long story, and the snails are gone now), so it's a pretty barren tank. New plants are coming tomorrow so I really want to clean this up quickly. The only things in there are a mystery snail (the good kind) and 10 guppy fry. If I must I can move the livestock.

Before all this, the tank was pretty clean. No cloudiness at all.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
188 Posts
If you can't be patience, why not reset the whole tank. Clean out everything and start new but leave the filter and biomedia alone. In this way, your cycle period going be every fast. If you using bacteria starter, you can instantly cycled.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you can't be patience, why not reset the whole tank. Clean out everything and start new but leave the filter and biomedia alone. In this way, your cycle period going be every fast. If you using bacteria starter, you can instantly cycled.
How patient is patient? I've been cleaning this for a week now. Do you think a few more days will make a difference or are you talking a couple more weeks?

·
Registered
763 Posts
Well if the cloudiness isnt being caused by floating debris (dead plant matter and such) my guess is its a bacteria bloom possible caused by the removal of so much dead and living matter. Basically you had a large bioload that is suddenly depleted making the bacteria die off cause you have too much bacteria and not enough load for it. With all you have done I would just let it settle and balance out. If you arent planning on adding to the bioload it should clear up rather quickly maybe a week or so. I wouldnt keep doing water changes as you are clearing the bacteria causing the bloom which in turn produces more to compensate.

Let it settle and possibly add an airstone to put more oxygen in the water.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you all!

Merth, that makes a lot of sense. And I can be patient for a week or so. Hopefully adding the plants will help, too. :)

Jalopy, I'll keep an eye out for Purigen when I'm next in the lfs. Patience is probably safer for me right now. I've already screwed up a good tank once! Patience is harder, but safer.

Urbach, if a week doesn't seem improvement I'll follow your advice and restart. It is getting better so I'll cross my fingers and just keep my hands out of there for a bit.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you are very serious you can get a small UV light. It's definitely a bacterial bloom and UV will clear the free floaters.
I'm going to try to be patient. What Merth said makes sense and I can certainly out-wait a bacterial bloom. And the plants arrived today so it'll be planted tomorrow.

Just out of curiosity, will one of the little UV lights sold for sterilizing baby stuff work? My husband bought one of those and we never used it. One of those silly things people without kids buy and then when the baby is there and you're wiping pacifiers and dropped bottles off on your somewhat cleanish sleeve, that's when you realize it was a waste of money. I think it's been in a box for 6 years.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Any UV light will work. Would mind post a picture of your cloudy tank? How bad it is. What filter are you using? Canister? Hang over filter? Filter and biomedia used, play important role how fast getting rid of bacteria boom.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
20 Posts
I picked up an Aquatop PF25-UV. For any type of bloom that pops up I just throw that on the tank and its gone within a few days.

For non-living cloudiness I use polyester batting. You can buy a 81"x96" roll of the stuff at Walmart in the crafts section. Takes out the finest particulate.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts