Discussion Starter #1
Here are the facts:

Gh 16.85
Kh 6.74
Ph 6.2

Nitrite 1.0
Nitrate 0
Ammonia ??

My water is cloudy and is suffering from a bacterial bloom (most likely cycling). I'm planning on introducing more Purigen into my filter and some Bio-Spira. Any idea how to bring down my water Hardness (Gh??) I do not have the $$ for a RO/DI unit now, but eventually will get one. I doubt that there are any permanent solutions to this problem but just curious if anyone knows of something else that might help?

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh, so apparently no one is going to help me with this problem huh? I have 200mL of Purigen, maybe I need some more but after 50% water change the next day cloudy as ever. Couldn't get my hands on any Bio-Spira. Here are the current H20 parameters:

Regular Tap (after 24hrs.)

Ph 7.8
Kh 180ppm
Gh 300ppm
Nitriate O
Nitrate 20ppm

Currently

Ph 6.8
Kh 120ppm
Gh 300ppm
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0

Any ideas that don't require me running out and buying a UV filter?

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
i told you! LEAVE IT ALONE! as far as the hardness problem, i am stumped.

·
Registered
197 Posts
how long has the tank been up and running?? it should go away in a few weeks i would do some water changes. i had the same problem a few weeks ago with the clouldy water did a few water changes and once it was done cycling it was so clear and i wouldnt add any more Purigen i have the same amount in mine.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John S -

Well this is week 2 I believe. I have been adding Seachem Stability for about 3 days now and I've got 4 more days to go. Exactly how cloudy did yours get? I mean it is cloudy, I can't even see the back of the tank or my plants! I've decided to just do a weekly 50% water change and leave it at that. The next day it goes right back to how it is anyway, so what is the point? I mean how long does it take to finish cycling! Ridiculous...

·
Registered
319 Posts
I mean how long does it take to finish cycling! Ridiculous...
3-4 weeks to answer your question. Also what substrate are you using? This is really important.

I JUST set up my 60gal tank Friday night. I expected the water to be cloudy because I did not rinse my substrate. I was told I should but really I don't have the facilities or the Time to run out and get supplies. I used Tahitian Moon Sand, its black as black can be. It clouded up the water quite a bit during planting. As you can see here. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/p...-cube-journal-its-been-long-2.html#post390255

Now, to rid the tank of the cloudiness I actually attached a coffee filter to the output of my cannister filter. If I wait 12 hours and remove it, the coffee filters are stained black by the crap aloft in the water column, its getting "clearer" but thats due to mechanical filtration methods. I have never been a fan of chemically treating water to clear it up. I'm in fact looking to see if I can find a Micron filter to clear it up with a quickness. But I hear the Vortex line of filters has gone down hill.

·
Premium Member
5,071 Posts
If you have no fish, then you aren't cycling unless you are adding ammonia...
Cycling refers to the process of establishing bacteria that converts ammonia>nitrite>nitrate. No ammonia = no cycling.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
he's using ADA, so i know he has some ammonia in there. just too hard-headed to test for it.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ROTFLOL!!! And you are so right! It has been so long since I've had to cycle a tank I forgot what it was like. But, fortunately I just found out that I can buy some BioSpira locally, thank god! So I hope that should cut that time down to a week. Steven Lo from www.aquaforestaquarium.com where I got my AS said that AS has a high organic content that has to be addressed in the first month, but thereafter is resolved. Dane, I thought you only had yours set up for a week or two? Needless to say I'm headed out to get me some BioSpira and that should fix this issue once and for all!

macclellan-my substrate, aquasoil provides plenty of ammonia, that's for sure!
RedIrocZ-28- I thought that the Vortex Freedom filter, since it is so small and portable, was a really good model. What news do you have about them? Has the manufacturer changed? I actually was going to get one this summer (along with a UV, Dane) but if the quality has went downhill I'd rather spend my $$ on another brand with a good history...

·
Registered
256 Posts
Don't use a UV sterilizer now. You wil kill the bacteria that's swirling around in the water and slow down your cycle.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Oh don't worry I won't, I was just making plans for this summer in terms of what equipment I'm planning on purchasing. Thanks Chrona...Oh CarolF if only you were here and I could get a quick squeeze from u, my problems would be solved! lol! But I'm headed to get some BioSpira so that should fix my problem...

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well I think I might have found a culprit for my cloudy water problem...I found a bunch of bacopa in the back of my tank that was dying. When I pulled it up, the roots were a bunch of black sludge and rockwool that still was attached and had apparently decayed....it smelled horrible. I think that might have been contributing to my increased organic load in the substrate. We'll see tomorrow how cloudy my water is, since after a water change it takes about a day (so far) for it to cloud up again...I'm wondering how this might have affected my H2O parameters. I never saw any change in nitrite, nitrate but then again (like you said Dane) I haven't been testing for ammonia/ammonium so who knows...Plus the BioSpira is in and so far so good...I usually and meticulous about separating the roots from rockwool but apparently I forgot to take it all off and stuck it in the back of the tank. I checked all of the other plants (and boy was the tank a mess) but everything else is ok...wish me luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
if u dont have the $$ for a ro/di unit try buying distilled or doudle distilled water in gal jugs they r cheap 30-40 cents a gal & they r ultra pure, low ph & very soft.. try a 50% water change with it every weekend for 2-3 weeks .. u will be suprised how well it helps your water paramiters all u really have to add to it is so type of buffer to avoid ph crashes. good luck

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I can finally say that my H2O is finally and completely clear! I think that that recharging my Purigen and the BioSpira did it. It is crystal clear so I guess I can kill this thread, but thanks to everyone who helped volunteer solutions to this problem.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Sounds good, styxx1!

And GhostKnife...betware at what you get at those refill stations. I just got 5 gallons yesterday. TDS was higher than what I get from my tap water. What the!!!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
hmm.. and who was the first to tell you to quit complaining and buy purigen already?!!! :biggrin:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts